Old 13-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Jim Caldwell

Default Will a Black Locust grow in S. Texas?

We may be in zone 9 here (Corpus Christi), and I see that this species is
hardy in zone 4-8. Does this mean it gets too hot here for the tree to do
well?

Old 13-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Cereus-validus

Sure, why no?

Its not a very long lived tree anyway.

You would be better off growing something better.

Old 13-05-2004, 09:02 PM
zxcvbob

Jim Caldwell wrote:

We may be in zone 9 here (Corpus Christi), and I see that this species is
hardy in zone 4-8. Does this mean it gets too hot here for the tree to do
well?

I'm pretty sure honey locust grows OK there.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 13-05-2004, 10:04 PM
Simon

I have one growing in the corner of my property here in the northeast Dallas
area. Someone told me it was a black locust. Has thorns all over it.
about 30 ft tall.

Not a tree you want to cultivate in my opinion.

Old 14-05-2004, 01:02 AM
David J Bockman

According to Dirr, ROBINIA PSEUDOACACIA (Black Locust, Common Locust,
Yellow or White Locust)

Is hardy in Zones 4-8.

Dave

Old 14-05-2004, 02:05 PM
escapee

Dirr only gives cold hardiness, not heat zones. I've seen black locust down
here, but it does get out of hand and reseeds everywhere and takes over and
needs to be weeded out a lot, etc.

On Thu, 13 May 2004 23:05:40 GMT, "David J Bockman"
opined:

"Simon" wrote in message
I have one growing in the corner of my property here in the northeast

Dallas
area. Someone told me it was a black locust. Has thorns all over it.
about 30 ft tall.

Not a tree you want to cultivate in my opinion.

"Jim Caldwell" wrote in message
We may be in zone 9 here (Corpus Christi), and I see that this species

is
hardy in zone 4-8. Does this mean it gets too hot here for the tree to

do
well?

[IMG] code is On

Black Locust Bill North Carolina 3 19-08-2003 03:22 AM
Black Locust Bill North Carolina 0 18-08-2003 03:02 AM
Black Locust Bill North Carolina 0 18-08-2003 02:56 AM
Black Locust Problem Paul Lehmann Lawns 2 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Black Locust Problem Paul Lehmann Lawns 2 07-03-2003 11:10 AM