Old 14-05-2004, 01:03 PM
*muffin*

Default azalea "?"

when purchasing my 'new' azalea several weeks ago the nursery told me it was
sufficiently hardened to be no problem growing outside ( zone 5).
but we had a frost,,,,,,,,& most of the flowers curdled up.(sigh)

will it rebloom at all this year?

dang, I swore never ever to buy another azalea, because they NEVER live
through the winter here, no matter what I did to protect them.

Old 14-05-2004, 03:02 PM
David J Bockman

'Hardened off' refers to the leaves being sufficiently far along in growth
to survive frosts. Azalea blossoms (especially the white bloomers, in my
experience) are quite susceptible to freezes and will turn to brown mush
right at 31-32 degrees.

Unless it's one of the relatively new repeat blooming azaleas, it's done
blooming for the year.

Dave

Old 18-05-2004, 07:04 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

"David J Bockman" in
:

'Hardened off' refers to the leaves being sufficiently far along in
growth to survive frosts. Azalea blossoms (especially the white
bloomers, in my experience) are quite susceptible to freezes and will
turn to brown mush right at 31-32 degrees.

http://members.tripod.com/~John_A_Perkins/specsrcs.htm
(but, -10 F doesn't sound terribly hardy)

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...azalea++usda+%
7C+zone

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...dendron+usda+%
7C+zone&btnG=Search