Old 14-05-2004, 04:04 PM
GaryM

Default Rhododendron Update and thank you

I wrote a few days back concerning a couple of sick rhododendrons. I
took the advice of the Mr Henning and dug out and removed the top 4
inches of soil together with the mulch. Though the roots looked
healthy the soil was heavy and somewhat compacted.

I pruned back the worst parts of the shrub. I replaced the soil from
the tips of the roots to about 6 inches out with some store-bought
top soil, mixed with the darkest stuff from under my pines and added
1/2 pint of vinegar for good measure. I applied this soil and spread
a thin amount up to, but not touching, the main trunk.

A good watering in followed by brand new mulch and a mere 3 days
later the difference is amazing. The plant has thrown up green leaf
buds, is perkier, and in general looks worlds better. The brown
leaves are no longer noticeable and I swear they look like they have
healed themselves, but I know this cannot be true.

Of course I changed too many variables to identify which one was the
problem, but the main thing the plants are doing well.

Anyway, thanks to Mr Henning for suggesting that I look deeper than
the symptoms and hopfully these plants will make it, now.

Gary