GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Newbie but plant-stupid learning by trial and error :) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/61334-newbie-but-plant-stupid-learning-trial-error.html)

Amy D 15-05-2004 05:02 AM

Newbie but plant-stupid learning by trial and error :)

Thought I'd do a quick intro. I've lived in Mobile, AL for 3 1/2 years
now but we just bought a house where I have the terrifying task of
landscaping when I am from western Nebraska where nothing grows and my
husband is from Illinois and as clueless as I am about southern Alabama.

I have several questions but have decided rather than putting them all
in one post I'd ask them separately to keep it simple.

Looks like a great group! There aren't any trolls who would
intentionally kill my plants around here I should know about are there? :)

amy

Frogleg 15-05-2004 11:02 AM

On Fri, 14 May 2004 22:08:37 -0500, Amy D wrote:

Thought I'd do a quick intro. I've lived in Mobile, AL for 3 1/2 years
now but we just bought a house where I have the terrifying task of
landscaping when I am from western Nebraska where nothing grows and my
husband is from Illinois and as clueless as I am about southern Alabama.

I have several questions but have decided rather than putting them all
in one post I'd ask them separately to keep it simple.

Excellent plan. First answer: check what neighbors and other locals
have growing. If every other house had masses of azaleas in bloom
recently, it's a good bet azaleas are...a good bet. If you like
azaleas, that is.

Amy D 16-05-2004 10:04 PM

Frogleg wrote:
On Fri, 14 May 2004 22:08:37 -0500, Amy D wrote:

Thought I'd do a quick intro. I've lived in Mobile, AL for 3 1/2 years
now but we just bought a house where I have the terrifying task of
landscaping when I am from western Nebraska where nothing grows and my
husband is from Illinois and as clueless as I am about southern Alabama.

I have several questions but have decided rather than putting them all
in one post I'd ask them separately to keep it simple.

Excellent plan. First answer: check what neighbors and other locals
have growing. If every other house had masses of azaleas in bloom
recently, it's a good bet azaleas are...a good bet. If you like
azaleas, that is.

Ironically, I went a little crazy with the azaelas. I LOVE azaelas! I
didn't realize how big they are going to get though. :) I planted 8 --
5 of them BIG ones. I know I can keep them pruned if I prune RIGHT
after they bloom though. I was kind of wondering WHAT I was thinking
after the first week the azaelas bloomed.....our little neighborhood was
giving me a headache! :)

amy

dps 17-05-2004 02:03 PM

Newbie but plant-stupid learning by trial and error :)

Error and trial is the best way to learn. The lessons sink in better
than anything you read, which usually goes in one eye and out somewhere
else.

Gardñ@Gardñ.info 18-05-2004 06:02 AM

Newbie but plant-stupid learning by trial and error :)

Amy D in :

http://www.panhandle.unl.edu/arboretum/arborbro.htm
http://citnews.unl.edu/florasearch/region.html

and
my husband is from Illinois and as clueless as I am about southern
Alabama.

http://www.alabamawildflower.org/
http://www.lsuagcenter.com/nav/publi...capingpubs.asp
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...lsuagcenter %
2Ecom+figs

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=site%
3Awww.lsuagcenter.com+released+%7C+%22new+cultivar s%22&btnG=Search

www.gulftel.com/jdwyer/camellia_links.htm
Alabama Experiment Station
http://www.ag.auburn.edu/aaes/commun...tionslist.html

Alabama Extension Service
http://www.aces.edu/pubs/
Georgia Experiment Station
http://www.ces.uga.edu/pubs/ES-pubs.htm

Georgia Extension Service
http://www.ces.uga.edu/ces/pubs.html
Florida
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/
Missouri
http://muextension.missouri.edu/xplor/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
less direct :-)

http://www.m-w.com/maps/china2.html
china has continental climate, but
climate comparisons could be tricky, since so cent china seems to be high
elevation. very unlike so cent USA.

http://alabamamaps.ua.edu/help/contemporary.html
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/re.../samericm.html
S america continent narrows toward the south, but i'm guessing that among s
American climates, buenos aires/paraguay/urugauy is closest climate to s
cent US.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8
&q=+louisiana+argentina+uruguay+flowers+evergreen+ %7C+deciduous+%
7C+native+%7C+species+

ex.:
http://www.rareplants.co.uk/zephyran/species.htm

~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22De...Alabama%20%7C%
20Louisiana%20%7C%20Mississippi&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=dw

http://www.hal-pc.org/~trobb/mastgar.html

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=%
22Louisiana+Society+for+Horticulture%22

http://www.google.com/search?
sourceid=navclient&q=Society+Horticulture++Alabama +%7C+Louisiana+%
7C+Mississippi

Gardñ@Gardñ.info 18-05-2004 06:04 AM

Newbie but plant-stupid learning by trial and error :)

Amy D in :

Ironically, I went a little crazy with the azaelas. I LOVE azaelas! I
didn't realize how big they are going to get though. :) I planted 8 --
5 of them BIG ones. I know I can keep them pruned if I prune RIGHT
after they bloom though. I was kind of wondering WHAT I was thinking
after the first week the azaelas bloomed.....our little neighborhood was
giving me a headache! :)

these people should be good. real life locals :)
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ea+Alabama +%
7C+Louisiana+%7C+Mississippi

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ons++Alabama+%
7C+Louisiana+%7C+Mississippi

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ron++Alabama+%
7C+Louisiana+%7C+Mississippi

~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...rons+climate+%
7C+elevation+%7C+geography+%7C+vegetation+map

stretching thin, more obscu
~~~~~~~~~~~
http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...7C+elevation+%
7C+geography+%7C+vegetation+map&spell=1

http://www.myanmar-embassy-tokyo.net...yanmar_map.jpg [use browser's
zoom button:]

baoshan led to SW Yunnan:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...UTF-8&q=Acer+%
7C++Dicotyledoneae+%7C+Angiospermae+%7C+Checklist+ +Yunnan+

leads to maples. when you see [ - - ? ugh, i forgot what i was adding on
to here! :) ]
look for these kinds of books at libraries.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...%3Dstripbooks%
26field-keywords%3DRhododendrons/102-6129810-8311316
http://www.timberpress.com/book

http://www.booksmatter.com/b18645037.../0-88192-637-X