Old 16-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Auntie

Default Cold damaged tomatoes - Fatal??

Hi, gardeners.

Last week I transplanted tomatoes. Shortly after that, the night temp
dropped (to low to mid 40's, I believe) and several of the tranplants
appear to have suffered cold damage.

My question: How can I determine if the damage is bad enough so that I
should replace the plants?

Thanks, in advance, for help.
Old 16-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Cereus-validus

Not to worry if temps didn't go down to freezing or below. Remember freezing
is still 32 degrees F.

What are you calling cold damage?
It might actually be sunburn.

Old 16-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Auntie

"Auntie" wrote in message
Hi, gardeners.

Last week I transplanted tomatoes. Shortly after that, the night temp
dropped (to low to mid 40's, I believe) and several of the tranplants
appear to have suffered cold damage.

My question: How can I determine if the damage is bad enough so that I
should replace the plants?

Thanks, in advance, for help.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

The affected leaves have greyish, papery-looking splotchy areas, now --
a couple of days after the cold nights. Previously, immediately after
the cold snap, I had noticed that some of edges of some leaves looked a
bit darkish green and wilted.