Old 17-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Phisherman

Default Sourwood tree dropping leaves?

We have a Sourwood tree (Oxydendrum arboreum) that is dropping a lot
(but not all) of leaves this week. It did this last year at this
time. Is this normal for a sourwood tree? This tree is about 30
years old, gets full sun, plenty of water and drainage, nutrients from
nearby compost piles. The leaves are annoying in that they fall into
a nearby pond and I am considering removing the tree unless I can
correct the leaf drop problem. This tree is native to east Tennessee
and growing here before the property was developed. It has tripled in
size in the last 10 years. Twelve years ago I removed a heavy bugle
vine that wrapped its trunk and canopied the top.
Old 17-05-2004, 03:06 PM
David J Bockman

Oh I hope you don't remove it-- a gorgeous native tree.

How do the leaves look when they drop? Yellow, burned, wrinkled, spotty....?
You mention a pond, is the pond newly constructed?

Dave

Old 17-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Phisherman

I collected a few leaves this morning, scanned them, and posted the
image on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. The leaves are green,
slightly wrinkled and covered with black spots. The edge of a
natural spring-fed pond is 15 feet downhill from the sourwood tree,
built 8 years ago. Could this be "black spot" fungus? If so, will
this kill the tree? The tree is about 30' tall. I'd rather not
remove the tree, I find the deep ribbed bark attractive and it
provides a home for tree frogs. Thanks for any suggestions.

On Mon, 17 May 2004 13:04:08 GMT, "David J Bockman"
wrote:

Oh I hope you don't remove it-- a gorgeous native tree.

How do the leaves look when they drop? Yellow, burned, wrinkled, spotty....?
You mention a pond, is the pond newly constructed?

Dave

.. .

Old 17-05-2004, 09:08 PM
Beecrofter

wrote:

[...]

Very rarely will a leaf spot disease kill the tree.
Odds are your tree has Cercospora oxydendri.
A copper based fungicide at 2 week intervals once the leaves expand.
Old 18-05-2004, 02:15 AM
Mike LaMana

I moved some 30-50' tall (to 16" caliper) to NY and CT from TN and WV a few
years ago. I have never seen a blackspot fungus on these or more locally
derived, nursery produced Oxydendrum. This is a new one on mew.

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

news

wrote:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Birch tree dropping leaves J. Davidson Gardening 8 22-06-2005 02:15 PM
Sourwood tree dropping leaves? Update Phisherman Gardening 0 23-05-2004 01:03 PM
[IBC] Old age in leaves (was: [IBC] willow leaf bonsai dropping leaves) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 24-03-2004 04:41 PM
Killed a Sourwood dementia13 Gardening 7 09-07-2003 03:56 AM
Orange tree dropping leaves mischab Edible Gardening 0 07-03-2003 07:48 AM