GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   strange weed-bamboo (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/61639-strange-weed-bamboo.html)

k conover 18-05-2004 05:07 PM

strange weed-bamboo

Hi, I have a strange weed growing all over my garden which is very delicate
looking like a tiny bamboo plant with a very delicate stalk, but only a
couple inches high, then of course, it starts growing.
Last year when I moved into my house (in Atlanta, GA) the yard was full of
them...I'm patiently pulling them all (since I can't use pre-emergent
because of all of my flowering plants) but just curious what they could be.
I'll try to post a picture if noone can figure out by my description.

Kirsten

Marcy Hege 18-05-2004 08:07 PM

strange weed-bamboo

Sounds as though you have Japanese stilt grass or micrcostegium. Very invasive.
Get rid of it before it seeds in late summer. It will cover everything. Check
out these websites for more info:

http://samab.org/Focus/Invasive/JapStilt/japstilt.html
http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/mivi1.htm

k conover 21-05-2004 05:03 AM

strange weed-bamboo

Yes, it definitely seems to be the Japanese stilt grass or a very close
relative...thanks!
Kirsten