GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Storms damage sugar maple! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/61912-storms-damage-sugar-maple.html)

Pat Kiewicz 22-05-2004 01:02 PM

Storms damage sugar maple!

We've been having wave after wave of strong storms.

Yesterday I worked frantically to mow the lawn (3rd time in a week!) before
a dangerous squall line ran through. I just managed to get it done and got
trapped in the garage during the storm.

I worried about the one neighbor's silver maple maybe coming down on me
and the garage (the wind gusts were powerful). I expected more large limbs
to come down off the other neighbor's weedy Siberian elm.

What I didn't expect was a good chunk of the top of my sugar maple coming
down. It looks like the leader split at some point, leaving a weak crotch that
finally suffered one gust too many.

Now I have to find a good arborist and hope that the tree can be salvaged...

*sigh*

(attributed to Don Marti)