GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Chinese Windmill Palm (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/62751-chinese-windmill-palm.html)

Ernest Wesson 31-05-2004 02:03 AM

Chinese Windmill Palm

Newbie here. Have a 3 ft Tr. Fortunensis outdoors. Started it from a
seedling, keeps going, surviving West Coast Vancouver BC winters! We love
it.
Question: Are we supposed to trim the tree by lopping off bottom branches?
There are still living branches at the base of the runk, but others we have
seen seem to be pruned part way up the trunk. Any suggestions? Ernie

how 31-05-2004 07:03 PM

Chinese Windmill Palm

"Ernest Wesson" wrote in message
snips
Have a 3 ft Tr. Fortunensis outdoors. Are we supposed to trim the tree by

lopping off bottom branches?
There are still living branches at the base of the runk, but others we

have
seen seem to be pruned part way up the trunk. Any suggestions? Ernie

Hi,
If it is green leave it. If it is brown cut it. If it is yellow wait till it
turns brown. Ideally only one frond will be yellowing, if more are yellow
then this indicates a need for fertilizer with minor elements. This is so
for all palms not just Trachycarpus fortunei.
hth, how
to reply remember no NEWS is good