Old 09-06-2004, 11:37 AM
madgardener

Default A roadside box of crayons bouquet on an early June morning

As I was racing down the winding country road to meet up with Squire at the
truckstop to bring him forgotten items for his week (he always leaves or
forgets something g) I was looking at all the flowers that lined the roads
as I drove past them and started "picking" them just to see what the bouquet
would have in it. Here's the box of crayons bouquet I came up with. Get a
gallon Mason jar and put some water and an aspirin and a teaspoon of sugar
in the water with a spoon of bleach and put them in as I hand them to
you................

Queen Anne's lace. (there's the white crayon)
Ditch daylilies (there's one orange) in tight stances against the sides of
the ditches peering up at the cars passing them
Butterfly weed in puddles (there's red-orange) that made me want to come to
a screeching stop and dig them up.....they NEVER dig up!!!

Chicory (there's the blue crayon) in ridiculous bushes just packed with
flowers because they'd been mowed a few weeks back and were now up to two
foot from the nourishing rains and lightening over the last two weeks.
Black-eyed Susan's (there's the yellow orange) in groups like high school
girls in a mall, tittering and giggling and whispering about the boys
A soft lavender pom pom like wildflower that is all ferny and fuzzy leafed
that I adore and know not what it's name, so I've dubbed it roadside
dingleballs g (there's lavender)

Wild sweet peas (there's the pink, purple and soft white) that waif the
fragrances of older strains that have seeded wild from generations of being
left alone.

White daisies with yellow eyes (there's another white with a hint of yellow)
a new flush of them everywhere from early blooming parents that seeded and
with the heat and rain, grew like fast forward on a movie.
Yellow cinquefoil (there's a butter yellow) like sleepy little drops of moon
in the daytime.

Roadside poppies (there's the red) tattered and brown parents, there are
stragglers come up far away from the medians when the winds flung the fine
seeds as far as it could and they sprung up along the sides of the asphalt
and are blooming now unlike their parents who bloomed a few weeks back.

We've got quite a large bouquet there, so it might take another gallon Mason
jar to hold them all. That looks pretty nice, doncha think? For green
we'll use the ferny stalks of the Swamp sunflower that are just now about
three foot tall or so. And for filler, we'll tuck in some Johnson grass
that is already tasseling from the mound of dumped soil near the interstate.

Ooops, there's a golden coreopsis I missed before, quick, get the knife back
out and cut a few of those. That makes a nice warm, yellow to add to the
bouquet. Be sure to leave some blossoms so they'll reseed for next year as
they're volunteers from the sowings of the wildflowers in the medians.

Now doesn't that look like an early Summer bouquet? With exception to brown
and black, I think we gathered that box of crayon's bouquet pretty good for
a quick run to cover Squire and his forgotten stuff. The trip shouldn't
have been a total loss, eh? g

madgardener, up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36