Old 09-06-2004, 11:41 AM
Jeff Wisnia

Default Seeking image of poplar pollen

I'm looking for an image of poplar pollen to confirm that's what all the
"fluff balls" now floating in the wind here in New England are.

They are 1/2" to 3/4" in diameter and look a little like overgrown stuff
kids blow off dandelions.

My Googling has only shown me that this is the time of year when poplar
pollen is in the air, plus one reference to a line in a novel which
reads, ["Oh, just a minute. Don’t move." He reached across and plucked a
white ball of poplar pollen from her hair. He flicked it into the air.]

Am I on the right track with this, and can someone help me confirm this
by pointing to an image? A wager of honor rides on this. G

Thanks guys,

Jeff

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Old 09-06-2004, 11:47 AM
B & J

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
I'm looking for an image of poplar pollen to confirm that's what all the
"fluff balls" now floating in the wind here in New England are.

They are 1/2" to 3/4" in diameter and look a little like overgrown stuff
kids blow off dandelions.

My Googling has only shown me that this is the time of year when poplar
pollen is in the air, plus one reference to a line in a novel which
reads, ["Oh, just a minute. Don’t move." He reached across and plucked a
white ball of poplar pollen from her hair. He flicked it into the air.]

Am I on the right track with this, and can someone help me confirm this
by pointing to an image? A wager of honor rides on this. G

Thanks guys,

Jeff

It could be from a cottonwood tree. The stuff you're describing sounds like
the fruit/seeds released from this tree in late spring. The fluff can be
really messy if there are enough trees around. Check this site and see if
you have any such trees in your neighborhood:

http://www.kansasforests.org/Program...cottonwood.htm

John

Old 09-06-2004, 11:57 AM
Kay Lancaster

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 19:07:28 -0400, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
I'm looking for an image of poplar pollen to confirm that's what all the
"fluff balls" now floating in the wind here in New England are.

If you can see it, other than as fine dust, it's not pollen.

They are 1/2" to 3/4" in diameter and look a little like overgrown stuff
kids blow off dandelions.

Most likely seeds with attached fluff from cottonwood trees.

My Googling has only shown me that this is the time of year when poplar
pollen is in the air, plus one reference to a line in a novel which
reads, ["Oh, just a minute. Don’t move." He reached across and plucked a
white ball of poplar pollen from her hair. He flicked it into the air.]

You'd be surprised the errors that get past editors. Or maybe you wouldn't.

Kay