GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Miniature Poppies (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/64446-miniature-poppies.html)

D.M. 13-06-2004 11:03 PM

Miniature Poppies

Hi,

I was at the local herb farm the other day and noticed that the woman had
some miniature red poppies among her garden.
I asked where I could get some of these seeds and she told me that she got
them in Scotland. She was rather busy so I didn't get a chance to inquire
any further.
I have been searching the web but not having much luck.
Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Cereus-validus 14-06-2004 01:02 AM

Miniature Poppies

Scotland is just north of England.

Where in Scotland? Edinburgh Botanical Garden or somewhere else?

Other than that, you have the rest of your life to wonder about the one that
got away. Maybe some day you will bump into her again and she will give you
the rest of the story or maybe not.

paghat 14-06-2004 02:04 AM

Miniature Poppies

In article , "D.M." wrote:

Hi,

I was at the local herb farm the other day and noticed that the woman had
some miniature red poppies among her garden.
I asked where I could get some of these seeds and she told me that she got
them in Scotland. She was rather busy so I didn't get a chance to inquire
any further.
I have been searching the web but not having much luck.
Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks!

There are a few scarlet cultivars of the California poppy, Eschscholzia
californica "Red," "Inferno," & "Scarlet Magic" are examples. Icelandic
poppies, already quite small, have dwarf strains that come in many colors,
usually oranges & yellows, but there is a bright red one rarely offered,
Papaver alpinum subspecies dubium. But really, there are so many tiny
specie-poppies, I doubt you'll find them without better hints. You could
sneak back when the flowers have turned to seedpods & whine & beg for one
seed pod.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

D.M. 15-06-2004 05:03 AM