Old 18-06-2004, 10:02 PM
tutu

Default tomato blossom without friuts

My tomato is blossoming, but no pruit at all, what is the problem? thank you.
Old 18-06-2004, 11:04 PM
Cereus-validus

Cart before the horse?

The fruit do not mature until the flowers have faded.

om...

Old 19-06-2004, 10:03 AM
Travis

tutu wrote:
My tomato is blossoming, but no pruit at all, what is the problem? thank you.

The flowers are not being pollinated.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 19-06-2004, 06:02 PM
Bill R

Travis wrote:
tutu wrote:

My tomato is blossoming, but no fruit at all, what is the problem?
thank you.

The flowers are not being pollinated.

As Travis said, the flowers NEED to be pollinated. Quite
often, early in the season, especially during rainy periods
the blooms will not be pollinated. Just give them a little
more time (and good weather) and you should see some
tomatoes.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden flowers visit
http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Old 20-06-2004, 05:03 AM
Salty Thumb

"'enry VIII" wrote in

"Salty Thumb" wrote in message
(tutu) wrote in
om:

My tomato is blossoming, but no pruit at all, what is the problem?
thank you.

Perhaps your plants are suffering from too much 'pee'. Or maybe
'you' and 'I' are getting mixed up.

Ribbing aside, I think it was at least a week (maybe even two or
three) before my flowers started changing into tomotoes.

That's pretty interesting, flowers turning into veggies!

She/he asked about tomatoes and you give an answer about "tomotoes",
what is wrong with you? ;-)

All ribbing aside, what is a "tomotoe"?

'enry VIII

sigh This question gets asked a lot. Most people know that the
'tomato' is native to South America, but do not know the etymology
(origin) of the word 'tomato'. The word tomato actually is a corruption
of the name of a Chief of the Andean Patchului tribe, Tomo, and the
Spanish word for toe, 'dedo'. After 'discovering' the tomato a few
days prior, the Spaniards came upon Tomo who was returning from a trip
into the lowlands. The Spaniards noticed the immature fruit of the
tomato bore a striking resemblance to Tomo's toes, which were green from
wearing alpaca yarn socks in the jungle (*not* a good idea). So they
called the plant 'tomo-dedoes'. Much later, after Thomas Jefferson (?)
proved that tomatoes were not poisonous, the name was Anglicized to
'tomato', because quite frankly, nobody wants to think about somebody's
nasty bloated gangrene toes when eating their salad. But knowledgeable
English speakers still call the immature fruit 'tomotoes' (while
knowledgeable Spaniards will say 'tomodedos'). You can read more about
this fascinating subject in "The True History of Edible Plants" by Lion
Trumeteef.

As for turing a flower into a vegetable, that is reputed to be the work
of the government.
http://lamar.colostate.edu/~samcox/Tomato.html

Now, if you'll excuse me, I intend to put on my 'embarassed' hood and
run off into the night. :-)

Old 20-06-2004, 06:02 PM
Paulo

Well, i was looking into this subject.....Tomatoes are not coming form South
America, in fact they are from North America, Mexico exaclty (Technically
North America). In nahuatl (aztec language) this fruit is called
tomatl....than in spanish tomate...and english tomatoe....

--
Paulo

Old 20-06-2004, 09:40 PM
Cereus-validus

Actually all the Lycopersicon species are native to South America but the
large fruited cultivars were developed in cultivation by the Aztecs of
Mexico in Pre-Columbian times.

"'enry VIII" wrote in message

[...]

(?)

Old 20-06-2004, 10:03 PM
Salty Thumb

"Cereus-validus" wrote in
:

Actually all the Lycopersicon species are native to South America but
the large fruited cultivars were developed in cultivation by the
Aztecs of Mexico in Pre-Columbian times.

Right ... depending on what you want to include when you say 'tomato'.
If you read further down on the previously cited link -
http://lamar.colostate.edu/~samcox/Tomato.html
it points to the Andes as the origin of Lycopersicon, based on a theory
by Vavilov. However later it gives Central America (as you say, still
technically in North America) as the origin of the first _domesticated_
tomatoes which upon further refining elsewhere gave rise to the
cultivated varieties that we all know and love.

(Probably the Spanish later changed the name from 'tomodedo' to 'tomate'
for the same reason as the English ... nobody wanted to think about algae
covered toes in their salsa. yeah, that's the ticket!)