Old 21-06-2004, 08:03 AM
Rose

Default Speaking of "flopped over"? - Sunflowers!!!!!

I have planted them before and want to plant them again but does anyone here
have a solution for sunflowers that (for lack of a better word) flop over?

I would love to plant them again!

Rose
http://members.aol.com/Roseb44170/home.html
"How did I ever get talked into this?"

Old 21-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Vox Humana

"Rose" wrote in message
I have planted them before and want to plant them again but does anyone

here
have a solution for sunflowers that (for lack of a better word) flop over?

I would love to plant them again!

I agree with staking them. Even if they are sturdy, I find that the
squirrels will climb them and knock them over in an attempt to get at the
seeds.

Old 21-06-2004, 07:03 PM
Lisa

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
Stake them.

In the heart. I hate sunflowers.

Old 21-06-2004, 08:03 PM
Vox Humana

"Lisa" wrote in message

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
Stake them.

In the heart. I hate sunflowers.

There are so many varieties that with a wide range of sizes and colors. I
find them fascinating. There are some farmers who plant vast fields of them
next to the interstate here in Ohio. I think it is stunning to pass such
huge masses of sturdy, architectural flowers. The highway department panted
big stretches of them on I71 between Cincinnati and Columbus last year. I
loved it.

Old 21-06-2004, 10:01 PM
Stoph

ODOT also planted a bunch here on US 35 around Frankfort, Ohio "Home of the
International Sunflower Festival"...;-)

Stoph
"Gardens are an excellent place to hide from the wife"

Old 23-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Leon Fisk

On 21 Jun 2004 06:14:30 GMT, ospam (Rose)
wrote:

I have planted them before and want to plant them again but does anyone here
have a solution for sunflowers that (for lack of a better word) flop over?

I would love to plant them again!

Hi Rose,

If they flop over, carefully pull them backup straight and
stomp down the side that was tipped up. Now get your hoe out
and mound dirt up and around them, maybe 6-10 inches deep.
That should keep'em in place ;-) The sooner you can tip them
back up the better. Don't wait too long...

You can always be preemptive and mound them up before they
tip over too. I usually wait until a few tip, because in
some years it isn't a problem. Usually a heavy rain with big
gusts of wind tip mine over. The rain saturates the soil and
then the wind does the rest.

Maybe you have been watering them a bit much and the soil is
saturated? Sunflowers seem to do quite well with just the
water Mother Nature provides. I only water mine a bit after
transplanting volunteers and they look all droopy.

See the following link for a few images.

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/

The sunflowers on the ends of the rows and the ones standing
alone by themselves rarely if ever tip over. The constant
buffeting they get from the wind encourages them to grow a
more substantial root system.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Old 24-06-2004, 06:02 AM
Pen

Wow! We can really use a field of sunflowers along the highways here.
Something to look at during rush hour instead of bumpers and
concrete. I've heard that pleasant sceneries can calm drivers and
reduce accidents.