Old 22-06-2004, 04:06 PM
figaro

Default White Sage - Salvia Apiana - In N. California?

It grows in Southern California in dry coastal scrub. No water in summer
for 4-6 months. I don't know if it would do well in the wet northwest.
Spectacular plant with incredible fragrance. Used by local indians in
religious ceremonies from what I understand. Mine top off at about 8 feet
when in bloom. The plant itself stays around 3-4 feet. I have never had a
person fail to comment on the fragrance once they brushed past one of these
beautiful silver plants.

Old 28-06-2004, 12:02 PM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

figaro in :

It grows in Southern California in dry coastal scrub. No water in
summer for 4-6 months. I don't know if it would do well in the wet
northwest. Spectacular plant with incredible fragrance. Used by local
indians in religious ceremonies from what I understand. Mine top off
at about 8 feet when in bloom. The plant itself stays around 3-4
feet. I have never had a person fail to comment on the fragrance once
they brushed past one of these beautiful silver plants.

i've had the feeling that it frosts easily, but found this (very
snipped):

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1174.htm
Perennial Salvias: The following salvias are usually grown as
perennials. Most are hardy and will grow well throughout South Carolina.

White Sage (Salvia apiana): This small evergreen sage has white wooly
leaves and clusters of white flowers often spotted with lavender. It
needs full sun and well-drained soil.

maybe it does poorly in wet winter clay?