GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Capiscum Spray??? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/67553-capiscum-spray.html)

Frank Solis 28-06-2004 11:08 PM

Capiscum Spray???

Trying to dissolve capiscum pepper in a liquid to form a spray. Trying
to keep rabbits from eating newly planted flowers in my garden. What is
a good solvent? Water won't do it. Will this keep them from chewing on
the flowers?

--Frank

Ed Clarke 29-06-2004 01:02 PM

Capiscum Spray???

In article , Frank Solis wrote:
Trying to dissolve capiscum pepper in a liquid to form a spray. Trying
to keep rabbits from eating newly planted flowers in my garden. What is
a good solvent? Water won't do it. Will this keep them from chewing on
the flowers?

Alcohol or whole milk. It's soluble in alcohols or fat.

Sunflower 29-06-2004 06:09 PM

Capiscum Spray???

"Frank Solis" wrote in message
Trying to dissolve capiscum pepper in a liquid to form a spray. Trying
to keep rabbits from eating newly planted flowers in my garden. What is
a good solvent? Water won't do it. Will this keep them from chewing on
the flowers?

--Frank

The rabbits will consider it a tasty salad dressing and come back for more.
If you want to keep critters out, you're going to have to fence them out.

George Orwell 29-06-2004 07:02 PM

Capiscum Spray???

In article , Frank Solis
wrote:
Trying to dissolve capiscum pepper in a liquid to form a spray. Trying
to keep rabbits from eating newly planted flowers in my garden. What is
a good solvent? Water won't do it. Will this keep them from chewing on
the flowers?

You might try using tobasco sauce. It will dissolve unlike ground
capiscum peppers. However I believe that you should be able to dissolve
enough of the active ingredient from finely ground capiscum peppers to
do the trick. I usually use about 1 or 2 tsp of red pepper to a gallon
of warm water, let soak for 1 hour, and then strain through some nylon
stockings. You can try to add some crushed garlic to the mix also.

redclay 30-06-2004 03:05 PM

Capiscum Spray???

Frank Solis wrote in message
Trying to dissolve capiscum pepper in a liquid to form a spray. Trying
to keep rabbits from eating newly planted flowers in my garden. What is
a good solvent? Water won't do it. Will this keep them from chewing on
the flowers?
--Frank

Using your blender puree the peppers with IPA (isopropanol ) better known as
rubbing alcohol. Now it seems most people are selling it as a 50% solution
in water. Filter using a coffee filter and just squirt it on the plants.
If there is some browning dilute the mixture 50/50 with water and spray.
Now to restate the obvious, be careful about washing your hands before
touching personal stuff. Use a lot of soap and water because believe me
that damn hot stuff in peppers stays around for awhile and it will light you
up.