Old 28-06-2004, 11:08 PM
Frank Solis

Default Capiscum Spray???

Trying to dissolve capiscum pepper in a liquid to form a spray. Trying
to keep rabbits from eating newly planted flowers in my garden. What is
a good solvent? Water won't do it. Will this keep them from chewing on
the flowers?

--Frank

Old 29-06-2004, 01:02 PM
Ed Clarke

In article , Frank Solis wrote:
Trying to dissolve capiscum pepper in a liquid to form a spray. Trying
to keep rabbits from eating newly planted flowers in my garden. What is
a good solvent? Water won't do it. Will this keep them from chewing on
the flowers?

Alcohol or whole milk. It's soluble in alcohols or fat.
Old 29-06-2004, 06:09 PM
Sunflower

"Frank Solis" wrote in message
Trying to dissolve capiscum pepper in a liquid to form a spray. Trying
to keep rabbits from eating newly planted flowers in my garden. What is
a good solvent? Water won't do it. Will this keep them from chewing on
the flowers?

--Frank

The rabbits will consider it a tasty salad dressing and come back for more.
If you want to keep critters out, you're going to have to fence them out.

Old 29-06-2004, 07:02 PM
George Orwell

In article , Frank Solis
wrote:
Trying to dissolve capiscum pepper in a liquid to form a spray. Trying
to keep rabbits from eating newly planted flowers in my garden. What is
a good solvent? Water won't do it. Will this keep them from chewing on
the flowers?

You might try using tobasco sauce. It will dissolve unlike ground
capiscum peppers. However I believe that you should be able to dissolve
enough of the active ingredient from finely ground capiscum peppers to
do the trick. I usually use about 1 or 2 tsp of red pepper to a gallon
of warm water, let soak for 1 hour, and then strain through some nylon
stockings. You can try to add some crushed garlic to the mix also.

Old 30-06-2004, 03:05 PM
redclay

Frank Solis wrote in message
Trying to dissolve capiscum pepper in a liquid to form a spray. Trying
to keep rabbits from eating newly planted flowers in my garden. What is
a good solvent? Water won't do it. Will this keep them from chewing on
the flowers?
--Frank

Using your blender puree the peppers with IPA (isopropanol ) better known as
rubbing alcohol. Now it seems most people are selling it as a 50% solution
in water. Filter using a coffee filter and just squirt it on the plants.
If there is some browning dilute the mixture 50/50 with water and spray.
Now to restate the obvious, be careful about washing your hands before
touching personal stuff. Use a lot of soap and water because believe me
that damn hot stuff in peppers stays around for awhile and it will light you
up.

[IMG] code is On

Dormant Spray/Oil? was Maryland roses R & L Porter Roses 3 01-02-2005 06:39 PM
Dormant spray R & L Porter Roses 6 10-02-2003 03:55 PM
How, when and why to apply dormant spray. Allegra Roses 2 09-02-2003 10:55 PM
How, when and why to apply dormant spray. Allegra Roses 6 05-02-2003 11:34 PM
How, when and why to apply dormant spray. Allegra Roses 0 03-02-2003 07:57 PM