GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Marrows - Female Flowers? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/78388-marrows-female-flowers.html)

Sue S 05-07-2004 09:02 PM

Marrows - Female Flowers?

Hi

I have several marrow plants which have lots of male flowers, but no females
(with fruits) - have I done something wrong or am I just be impatient?

Many thanks

Sue

Cereus-validus 05-07-2004 09:02 PM

Marrows - Female Flowers?

You are being impatient. Many Cucurbitaceae will produce male flowers before
the female flowers.

In the wild, such a strategy encourages out-breeding with other plants (and
genetic diversity) but frustrates the impatient gardener expecting fruit.

Mark Anderson 06-07-2004 06:02 PM

Marrows - Female Flowers?

In article says...
You are being impatient. Many Cucurbitaceae will produce male flowers before
the female flowers.

In the wild, such a strategy encourages out-breeding with other plants (and
genetic diversity) but frustrates the impatient gardener expecting fruit.

How exactly can you tell the difference between the males and females?
The Marrows in my boxes are starting to flower at only three feet high.
last year they grew 6 feet before they started flowering which was in
September. I can't figure out what I did differently other than using a
wildflower seed mix from a different vendor. I was hoping they'd grow to
6 feet this year too.

Steve Hayes 07-07-2004 06:02 AM

Marrows - Female Flowers?

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 20:04:46 +0100, "Sue S"
wrote:

Hi

I have several marrow plants which have lots of male flowers, but no females
(with fruits) - have I done something wrong or am I just be impatient?

I have a related question that came up on another newsgroup -- how do you
distinguish between marrows and zucchini/courgettes?

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7734/stevesig.htm