Old 05-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Sue S

Default Marrows - Female Flowers?

Hi

I have several marrow plants which have lots of male flowers, but no females
(with fruits) - have I done something wrong or am I just be impatient?

Many thanks

Sue

Old 05-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Cereus-validus

You are being impatient. Many Cucurbitaceae will produce male flowers before
the female flowers.

In the wild, such a strategy encourages out-breeding with other plants (and
genetic diversity) but frustrates the impatient gardener expecting fruit.

Old 07-07-2004, 06:02 AM
Steve Hayes

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 20:04:46 +0100, "Sue S"
wrote:

Hi

I have several marrow plants which have lots of male flowers, but no females
(with fruits) - have I done something wrong or am I just be impatient?

I have a related question that came up on another newsgroup -- how do you
distinguish between marrows and zucchini/courgettes?

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7734/stevesig.htm
Old 07-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Django Cat

wrote:

Hi

I have several marrow plants which have lots of male flowers, but no
females
(with fruits) - have I done something wrong or am I just be impatient?

I have a related question that came up on another newsgroup -- how do you
distinguish between marrows and zucchini/courgettes?

Size matters.
DC

[IMG] code is On

Marrows! chris thame United Kingdom 3 18-07-2008 09:05 PM
Marrows Michael[_13_] United Kingdom 1 04-07-2008 04:47 PM
Marrows & potatoes ajr United Kingdom 5 23-05-2004 10:08 PM
No Female flowers lesliemm Edible Gardening 1 20-07-2003 06:52 PM
Markins, pumprows, or just senescent marrows? Druss United Kingdom 2 09-01-2003 02:28 PM