Old 06-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Vox Humana

Default New house with hard pack soil

"nswong" wrote in message
"Jack" wrote in message
news:CAAGc.22734$mN3.3530@lakeread06...

I was lead to believe that doing a plug aerate now during the

summer was a
bad thing. I did alot of reading on the web etc, and most

recommended
waiting until the fall. If I do it now, would I run into problems

??

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
.. .

I can't think of any reason it would cause problems. I have done it

in both
the spring and the fall. We are only a couple weeks into summer.

I'm
curious, what did your research give as reasons not to core aerate

now?

I guess that is due to plug aerate will break quite some grass root
and rhizome. It's good to do anything that will cause physical
damage(pruning, dividing...) to plant during the dormant period(late
fall to early spring).

Actually, my grass is about to go into a summer dormancy as the temperature
rise and precipitation ceases. Fall and spring are the times that grass
grows like mad here, fall being the best time to renovate or plant a new
lawn.

Old 06-07-2004, 11:02 PM
JMagerl

if it's like my lawn, the little plugger thingies won't penetrate the soil
when its dry (IE: the middle of summer). Waiting till fall or spring allows
the rains to soften the soil. Also it's been my experience that the plugs
themselves stick around a lot longer in the summer than in the fall (again a
moisture thing). SOme people may not like looking at them for so long.
"nswong" wrote in message
"Jack" wrote in message

I was lead to believe that doing a plug aerate now during the

summer was a
bad thing. I did alot of reading on the web etc, and most

recommended
waiting until the fall. If I do it now, would I run into problems

??

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
.. .

I can't think of any reason it would cause problems. I have done it

in both
the spring and the fall. We are only a couple weeks into summer.

I'm
curious, what did your research give as reasons not to core aerate

now?

I guess that is due to plug aerate will break quite some grass root
and rhizome. It's good to do anything that will cause physical
damage(pruning, dividing...) to plant during the dormant period(late
fall to early spring).

Regards,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

Old 07-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Vox Humana

"JMagerl" wrote in message
if it's like my lawn, the little plugger thingies won't penetrate the soil
when its dry (IE: the middle of summer). Waiting till fall or spring

allows
the rains to soften the soil. Also it's been my experience that the plugs
themselves stick around a lot longer in the summer than in the fall (again

moisture thing). SOme people may not like looking at them for so long.

You could water a few days before aerating. Also, I have been known to
rake-up the plugs in areas that I want to keep tidy.

Old 07-07-2004, 04:02 AM
nswong

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

Actually, my grass is about to go into a summer dormancy as the

temperature
rise and precipitation ceases.

Some people said grass are under stress at summer, if so, then it is
not the right time to do this.

Part of grass get used by having supplement water supply from other
part through rhizome, once grass rhizome are broken, that part of
grass that depend on other may die under the hot sun.

Fall and spring are the times that grass
grows like mad here, fall being the best time to renovate or plant a

new
lawn.

I believe the best time to do this are after the grass accumulate
starch and go to dormant, but before the grass start to regrow.

Regards,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

Old 07-07-2004, 04:02 AM
nswong

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"nswong" wrote in message

I guess that is due to plug aerate will break quite some grass

root
and rhizome. It's good to do anything that will cause physical
damage(pruning, dividing...) to plant during the dormant

period(late
fall to early spring).

Some would say that the best time to annoy the grass is right now,

when it's
growing like crazy, but not during the hottest part of summer when

the plant
is stressed.

It is best to do pruning, transplant... in late fall due to:
1. In dormancy, plant can endure more. e.g. apply herbicide will be
less effective at this period.
2. Plant do accumulate starch(energy, carbon), before go into
dormancy, so it will regrow better than doing this at other period.

Some would say that the best time to annoy the grass is right now,

when it's
growing like crazy,

When something put all it energy for growing, it will not have much
energy(starch) reserve for regrow once the growed part fail/remove.

but not during the hottest part of summer when the plant
is stressed.

Agree, job(pruning, plug aerate...) should not do when plant are under
stress, they don't have enough vitality(starch) to recover.

Regards,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

Old 07-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Karen Fletcher

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Karen Fletcher" wrote in message

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
^and cats -- Cicero

If you believe this, I'd like to marry you. :-) You'll have to put up with a
certain amount of fishing, though.

LOL! I can see the headlines now: "Signature line prompts Internet
marriage proposal".

Fishing as such would not present a problem, provided only the edible
parts of any resulting fish are permitted to enter the house.

-- Karen

The Garden Gate http://garden-gate.prairienet.org
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
^and cats -- Cicero
On the Web since 1994 Forbes Best of Web 2002
Old 07-07-2004, 03:02 PM
LAH

You've gotten some good responses but I'd like to add one other thing. I
hope you are not catching the grass clippings but are allowing the clippings
to remain on the lawn to act as a mulch. Soil such as you describe and what
I too have, needs all the organic material it can get. This is no over
night solution and probably won't solve your problem any time soon. However
from experience, I can tell you it does eventually help.

"Jack" wrote in message
newsMxGc.22721$mN3.22238@lakeread06...
Hello all,
I've been in my new house for about two years. It is a typical builders

lot
with hard pack soil. When it rains, and/or I run the sprinkler system,

most
of the water just seems to run off. I am going to plug aerate in the

fall,
but I was hoping to do something now. Perhaps spike aerate. I need to

get
the water down the to roots of the grass.

Advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Zone 6 rhode island.

Old 07-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Vox Humana

"nswong" wrote in message
"Vox Humana" wrote in message

Actually, my grass is about to go into a summer dormancy as the

temperature
rise and precipitation ceases.

Some people said grass are under stress at summer, if so, then it is
not the right time to do this.

Part of grass get used by having supplement water supply from other
part through rhizome, once grass rhizome are broken, that part of
grass that depend on other may die under the hot sun.

Fall and spring are the times that grass
grows like mad here, fall being the best time to renovate or plant a

new
lawn.

I believe the best time to do this are after the grass accumulate
starch and go to dormant, but before the grass start to regrow.

I still would like to see something besides speculation about why one should
not aerate during the summer.

Old 07-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Doug Kanter

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

"nswong" wrote in message
"Vox Humana" wrote in message

[...]

OK. Tell us where you live. That'll help.

Old 07-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Vox Humana

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

"nswong" wrote in message
"Vox Humana" wrote in message

[...]

I did a search and the information I found says that the timing of aeration
depends on the type of grass you have. Some lawns should be aerated in the
spring while other should be aerated in the summer. I live in Cincinnati,
and according to the information posted that has little to do with the
timing since I could have either type of grass.
http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1200.htm

Old 08-07-2004, 07:02 AM
nswong

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

I did a search and the information I found says that the timing of

aeration
depends on the type of grass you have. Some lawns should be aerated

in the
spring while other should be aerated in the summer.

I believe those aerate at summer are cold weather grass, and those
aerated at spring are warm weather grass. They are aerated while in
dormancy.

This is the last guess, no more. :-)

Sorry about the speculation.

Regards,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

Old 09-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

"Doug Kanter" in
:

Some would say that the best time to annoy the grass is right now,
when it's growing like crazy, but not during the hottest part of
summer when the plant is stressed.

rather hot now. plus we're still close to summer solstice (longest days).
but plants might be 'programmed' to grow faster now than later.

btw, does anyone know whether those pluggers handle rock or pebble
infested soils?

Old 09-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

"Vox Humana" in news:nbHGc.189816$DG4.27308
@fe2.columbus.rr.com:

You could water a few days before aerating. Also, I have been known to
rake-up the plugs in areas that I want to keep tidy.

sounds like a slow way to lower grade