GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   cateloupes not thriving ? :( (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/78555-cateloupes-not-thriving.html)

Skyhooks 08-07-2004 04:02 AM

cateloupes not thriving ? :(

When I planted canteloupes last year, I thought I had a chance. No go.
The young canteloupe plantings sucumbed to some sort of disease (?). So
last year, I figured it was a fluke. But this year, it's happened again
(ARGH!).

My canteloupes just haven't thrived, and I don't know why :( The
cucumbers have grown like bacteria in ideal nutrients.

However, my canteloupes have some sort of silvery dust (fungus?)
covering the leaves, as one can perhaps see via the pics I included at
(http://www.picturetrail.com/skyhooks - & select garden). At this
point, I know the canteloupes are toast and will not bear (dang it).
This is the very same situation occurred with the canteloupes last year
about this same time of year. I just hoped this year would be
different. But NO! What have I not done correctly? For that matter,
what did I do that was incorrect?

In other words, how can I grow canteloupes here in C-U???? TIA. My
cukes grow like weeds!

Skyhooks
hmardis "aht" uiuc "dought" edu

reply-to address munged - read line above.

Twobtold 08-07-2004 08:02 AM

cateloupes not thriving ? :(

From: Skyhooks

However, my canteloupes have some sort of silvery dust (fungus?)
covering the leaves, as one can perhaps see via the pics I included at
(
http://www.picturetrail.com/skyhooks - & select garden).

It's mildew.
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8.html