Old 08-07-2004, 10:02 AM
Ron Hardin

Default Stupid Tree

What kind of stupid tree breaks under its own weight? No wind or
anything, no damage.

I have smooth sumac on the south wall of the house, providing a
canopy of shade with no leaves at window-level; and it's a light-weight
tree so it won't damage the house by banging on it. Very pleasant,
like an annual awning, waving fronds and filtered light and all that.

But when the leaves get wet, the branches weigh more, and now the
damn things are breaking off, exposing the house to SUN. It's the
best branches that go first.

Fortunately they grow fast. Like weeds in fact.
--
Ron Hardin

Old 08-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Allview

Aren't sumac trees always brittle? I remember them growing wild in the fields
behind our house in PA when I was a kid. Now I see people planting them on
purpose in their yards. They are very pretty.

Marilyn
Old 08-07-2004, 04:02 PM
J. Del Col

Ron Hardin wrote in message ...
What kind of stupid tree breaks under its own weight? No wind or
anything, no damage.

I have smooth sumac on the south wall of the house, providing a
canopy of shade with no leaves at window-level; and it's a light-weight
tree so it won't damage the house by banging on it. Very pleasant,
like an annual awning, waving fronds and filtered light and all that.

But when the leaves get wet, the branches weigh more, and now the
damn things are breaking off, exposing the house to SUN. It's the
best branches that go first.

Fortunately they grow fast. Like weeds in fact.

Sumacs are weak, brittle trees. They lose leaves and branches all the
time and are a mess to clean up. Essentially they are a trash tree.
Why people plant them is a mystery.

J. Del Col
Old 08-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Ron Hardin

J. Del Col wrote:
Sumacs are weak, brittle trees. They lose leaves and branches all the
time and are a mess to clean up. Essentially they are a trash tree.
Why people plant them is a mystery.

You get dense shade that's clear at ground level, without much tree
bulk at hand. The fronds are nice. Birds like the berries in the
winter, when everything else runs out. Progeny pop up all over
and add to the shade, but are easily snipped when in the lawn.

There's no cleanup that I know of, except removing fallen limbs.
--
Ron Hardin

Old 09-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Bob S.

Ron Hardin wrote in message ...
What kind of stupid tree breaks under its own weight? No wind or
anything, no damage.

.... and it's a light-weight tree so...

There's your first clue. Compare that to the weight vs strength of
oak, hickory, and other hardwoods.

Bob S.