GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   squirrels stealing tomatoes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/79284-squirrels-stealing-tomatoes.html)

[email protected] 17-07-2004 12:02 AM

squirrels stealing tomatoes

Squirrels are swiping all my tomatoes before they have a chance to start
getting ripe. There's nothing around here that eats squirrels, and we
can't shoot 'em. Is there a way to keep them away from the tomatoes?

Alan

** Please use address alanh77[at]comccast.net to reply via e-mail. **

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.1

Old Arty Boy 17-07-2004 12:02 AM

squirrels stealing tomatoes

:

Is there a way to keep them away from the tomatoes?

Hav-a-heart trap, bread, peanut butter. Drown'em or move'em.

Vox Humana 17-07-2004 12:02 AM

squirrels stealing tomatoes

wrote in message
ganews.com...
Squirrels are swiping all my tomatoes before they have a chance to start
getting ripe. There's nothing around here that eats squirrels, and we
can't shoot 'em. Is there a way to keep them away from the tomatoes?

Electric fence.

Warren 17-07-2004 12:02 AM

wrote:
Squirrels are swiping all my tomatoes before they have a chance to

start
getting ripe. There's nothing around here that eats squirrels, and we
can't shoot 'em. Is there a way to keep them away from the tomatoes?

Give them better stuff to eat. Peanuts, for example.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Get Black and Decker Landscaping Tools He
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blac...ker/index.html

Vox Humana 17-07-2004 01:02 AM

"Warren" wrote in message
wrote:
Squirrels are swiping all my tomatoes before they have a chance to

start
getting ripe. There's nothing around here that eats squirrels, and we
can't shoot 'em. Is there a way to keep them away from the tomatoes?

Give them better stuff to eat. Peanuts, for example.

They also may need water and are eating the tomatoes which are about 80%
water to quench their thirst.

Phisherman 17-07-2004 02:02 AM

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 18:00:25 -0300, wrote:

Squirrels are swiping all my tomatoes before they have a chance to start
getting ripe. There's nothing around here that eats squirrels, and we
can't shoot 'em. Is there a way to keep them away from the tomatoes?

Alan

We trap squirrels using a Hav-A-Hart trap, baited with a peanut butter
cracker (or any cookie will work). We take the trapped squirrels 10
miles away to a wooded park. After taking 20 squirrels, it takes a
year for the population to return. An electric fence should keep
them out of your garden.

Jim Carlock 17-07-2004 05:02 AM

squirrels stealing tomatoes

I don't know much about anything... but if you put an offensive
smell around the tomatoes...

Not sure if this will work, but perhaps putting some cayenne
pepper into a water solution might deter them if sprayed on
the tomatoes. Might make your tomatoes a little spicier. :-)

--
Jim Carlock
http://www.911forthetruth.com/

redclay 17-07-2004 03:02 PM

squirrels stealing tomatoes

wrote in message
ganews.com...
Squirrels are swiping all my tomatoes before they have a chance to start
getting ripe. There's nothing around here that eats squirrels, and we
can't shoot 'em. Is there a way to keep them away from the tomatoes?

Alan

Trap them with the Hav-a-Hart but do not let them go. Shot them in the
trap using a pellet rifle and bury the damn things around your roses and
irises. Squirrels are not looking for water or anything else; they are
just nipping them. Putting out other food will just draw more of them.
Trap, shoot and bury.

Retiredff 17-07-2004 07:02 PM

squirrels stealing tomatoes

Squirrels are swiping all my tomatoes before they have a chance to
start getting ripe. There's nothing around here that eats
squirrels, and we can't shoot 'em. Is there a way to keep them away
from the tomatoes?

Twenty three years of fresh veggies, and this is the first years I have ever
had a problem with squirrels taking my tomatoes. Green or starting to ripen,
it doesn't matter.

I know it is not because they want water. Our four-year drought ended last
year, and they never touched them during that time.

David Ross 17-07-2004 10:02 PM

wrote:

Squirrels are swiping all my tomatoes before they have a chance to start
getting ripe. There's nothing around here that eats squirrels, and we
can't shoot 'em. Is there a way to keep them away from the tomatoes?

I saw squirrels nibbling at my dwarf orange tree last year. My
peach tree and grape vines seemed to have puny crop.

This spring, I set out two bait stations with pellets of rodent
bait. This attracts not only squirrels, but also field mice and
rats. But birds and larger animals (including my tortoise) cannot
enter the stations. The bait is toxic with a delayed reaction,
killing the rodent after it eats its fill and leaves the station.
I have been assured by professionals that the bait does not create
a danger to the scavengers (coyotes, ravens, etc) that might feed
on the dead rodents.

This year, my peach tree had a bumper crop. My grape vines are
sagging with the weight of large bunches of grapes.

Yes, I still see some squirrels. But they seem to be leaving my
fruits alone. Perhaps they find the bait more tasty.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See http://www.mozilla.org/.

philosopher 18-07-2004 01:02 AM

squirrels stealing tomatoes

Redclay--Your suggestion is a particularly un-sportsmanlike and gruesome
one. And, by the way, who made you the great squirrel psychologist? Maybe
they *do* want the moisture????

--
philosopher

~~~part of the signature-sporting, top-posting reform movement~~~
"redclay" wrote in message

ganews.com...

David Ross 19-07-2004 08:02 PM

NoPatience wrote:

where do you buy these bait stations?

I think I saw them (and the bait) at Do-It. The ones in my
backyard were installed by my exterminator service, which checks
them monthly to refresh the bait. ($10 per month per bait station)

The first servicing after they were installed, one station had been
completely emptied. The second station was near empty. More
significant, the technician discovered a rat in that station,
munching away. Fortunately, the varmints eat their fill and leave
the station before dying.

[email protected] 10-08-2004 08:33 PM

squirrels stealing tomatoes

I used a product called the Cat/Dog Stop that I bought from
www.backyard-lifestyle.com
to keep the raccoons and squirrels out of my garden area. It uses a
motion detector and emmits an Ultrasonic sound that frightens most
animals away. Humans can't hear it, and it operates off a 9v battery
for months. It was priced about $40 and well worth every penny.
I hope this helps,
Norman

paghat 10-08-2004 09:57 PM

squirrels stealing tomatoes

In article ,
wrote:

I used a product called the Cat/Dog Stop that I bought from
www.backyard-lifestyle.com
to keep the raccoons and squirrels out of my garden area. It uses a
motion detector and emmits an Ultrasonic sound that frightens most
animals away. Humans can't hear it, and it operates off a 9v battery
for months. It was priced about $40 and well worth every penny.
I hope this helps,
Norman

In another thread I took you seriously when you claimed this worthless
device did the job for you personally. I corrected this misinformation,
but was myself naive enough to believe you had at least THOUGHT you'd
experienced some positive effect, since coincidents do happen. But hooboy
was I wrong in assuming you were a regular joe hornswoggled by crooks, as
another individual noted that you are yourself merely a constant spammer
-- making YOU the hornswoggling crook.

Warning to all: Ultrasonic devices have been tested by uninvested parties
at horticultural stations of several universities, & found to be
completely worthless for any purpose whatsoever. See this article, with
two university links within the text:

http://www.paghat.com/ultrasonic.html

An object lesson on why one should NEVER buy ANYTHING from spammers.
Spamming on UseNet is simply not done by honest & competent companies.

-paghat the ratgirl

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 18:00:25 -0300, wrote:

Squirrels are swiping all my tomatoes before they have a chance to start
getting ripe. There's nothing around here that eats squirrels, and we
can't shoot 'em. Is there a way to keep them away from the tomatoes?

Alan

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Visit the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com