Old 17-07-2004, 12:02 AM

Default squirrels stealing tomatoes

Squirrels are swiping all my tomatoes before they have a chance to start
getting ripe. There's nothing around here that eats squirrels, and we
can't shoot 'em. Is there a way to keep them away from the tomatoes?

Alan

** Please use address alanh77[at]comccast.net to reply via e-mail. **

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.1

Old 17-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Vox Humana

wrote in message
ganews.com...
Squirrels are swiping all my tomatoes before they have a chance to start
getting ripe. There's nothing around here that eats squirrels, and we
can't shoot 'em. Is there a way to keep them away from the tomatoes?

Electric fence.

Old 17-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Jim Carlock

I don't know much about anything... but if you put an offensive
smell around the tomatoes...

Not sure if this will work, but perhaps putting some cayenne
pepper into a water solution might deter them if sprayed on
the tomatoes. Might make your tomatoes a little spicier. :-)

--
Jim Carlock
http://www.911forthetruth.com/

Old 17-07-2004, 03:02 PM
redclay

wrote in message
ganews.com...
Squirrels are swiping all my tomatoes before they have a chance to start
getting ripe. There's nothing around here that eats squirrels, and we
can't shoot 'em. Is there a way to keep them away from the tomatoes?

Alan

Trap them with the Hav-a-Hart but do not let them go. Shot them in the
trap using a pellet rifle and bury the damn things around your roses and
irises. Squirrels are not looking for water or anything else; they are
just nipping them. Putting out other food will just draw more of them.
Trap, shoot and bury.

Old 17-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Retiredff

Squirrels are swiping all my tomatoes before they have a chance to
start getting ripe. There's nothing around here that eats
squirrels, and we can't shoot 'em. Is there a way to keep them away
from the tomatoes?

Twenty three years of fresh veggies, and this is the first years I have ever
had a problem with squirrels taking my tomatoes. Green or starting to ripen,
it doesn't matter.

I know it is not because they want water. Our four-year drought ended last
year, and they never touched them during that time.

Old 18-07-2004, 01:02 AM
philosopher

Redclay--Your suggestion is a particularly un-sportsmanlike and gruesome
one. And, by the way, who made you the great squirrel psychologist? Maybe
they *do* want the moisture????

--
philosopher

~~~part of the signature-sporting, top-posting reform movement~~~
"redclay" wrote in message

ganews.com...

Old 19-07-2004, 08:02 PM
David Ross

NoPatience wrote:

where do you buy these bait stations?

I think I saw them (and the bait) at Do-It. The ones in my
backyard were installed by my exterminator service, which checks
them monthly to refresh the bait. ($10 per month per bait station)

The first servicing after they were installed, one station had been
completely emptied. The second station was near empty. More
significant, the technician discovered a rat in that station,
munching away. Fortunately, the varmints eat their fill and leave
the station before dying.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See http://www.mozilla.org/.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:33 PM

I used a product called the Cat/Dog Stop that I bought from
www.backyard-lifestyle.com
to keep the raccoons and squirrels out of my garden area. It uses a
motion detector and emmits an Ultrasonic sound that frightens most
animals away. Humans can't hear it, and it operates off a 9v battery
for months. It was priced about $40 and well worth every penny.
I hope this helps,
Norman

Old 10-08-2004, 09:57 PM
paghat

In article ,
wrote:

I used a product called the Cat/Dog Stop that I bought from
www.backyard-lifestyle.com
to keep the raccoons and squirrels out of my garden area. It uses a
motion detector and emmits an Ultrasonic sound that frightens most
animals away. Humans can't hear it, and it operates off a 9v battery
for months. It was priced about $40 and well worth every penny.
I hope this helps,
Norman

In another thread I took you seriously when you claimed this worthless
device did the job for you personally. I corrected this misinformation,
but was myself naive enough to believe you had at least THOUGHT you'd
experienced some positive effect, since coincidents do happen. But hooboy
was I wrong in assuming you were a regular joe hornswoggled by crooks, as
another individual noted that you are yourself merely a constant spammer
-- making YOU the hornswoggling crook.

Warning to all: Ultrasonic devices have been tested by uninvested parties
at horticultural stations of several universities, & found to be
completely worthless for any purpose whatsoever. See this article, with
two university links within the text:

http://www.paghat.com/ultrasonic.html

An object lesson on why one should NEVER buy ANYTHING from spammers.
Spamming on UseNet is simply not done by honest & competent companies.

-paghat the ratgirl

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 18:00:25 -0300, wrote:

Squirrels are swiping all my tomatoes before they have a chance to start
getting ripe. There's nothing around here that eats squirrels, and we
can't shoot 'em. Is there a way to keep them away from the tomatoes?

Alan

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Visit the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com