GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Getting under the rootball (transplanting my shrubs) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/79375-getting-under-rootball-transplanting-my-shrubs.html)

Greg Miller 18-07-2004 08:02 AM

Getting under the rootball (transplanting my shrubs)

I'm transplanting a barberry and some rose bushes from one side of my
garden to the other. So far I've gone down a shovel-width about 3 feet
down. But I can't figure out a good way to get under the column I've
created to get the thing out!

I tried plunging the shovel underneath but it's a bad angle since the
trench is a foot wide.

Mark 18-07-2004 03:02 PM

Getting under the rootball (transplanting my shrubs)

In article
,
says...
I'm transplanting a barberry and some rose bushes from one side of my
garden to the other. So far I've gone down a shovel-width about 3 feet
down. But I can't figure out a good way to get under the column I've
created to get the thing out!

I tried plunging the shovel underneath but it's a bad angle since the
trench is a foot wide.

Unless you have mechanical means (tractor with loader) or
lots of strong friends, you're going to have to limit the
size of the root ball anyway.

This is really the wrong time of year for transplanting.
I'd suggest you just leave it alone until the leaves drop.

But once you decide to do it, you really only need to get
about a foot of depth on the root ball, so the trench you
have now should give you adequate access to undercut the
ball.
--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
Your perception may be different.

Triple Z is spam control.

gregpresley 20-07-2004 03:02 AM

Getting under the rootball (transplanting my shrubs)

I'm not sure exactly what you're describing, but some people slide burlap or
heavy visqueen under the root ball to keep it intact while they move it.
(Often a 2 -person job)