Old 23-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Kenneth

Default Potato troubles...?

Howdy,

I am (brand) new to planting potatoes and decided to put in two
varieties: Yukon Golds and Russets.

They have grown beautifully since planting, but now, all at once, I am
having real trouble.

On virtually every plant, (they are about 18" tall by the way) nearly
all the leaves have become very curly and shriveled. The plants look
like the are soon to die off.

I can see no insect infestations, and the soil is well drained and
receives what I would assume to be an appropriate amount of water. The
soil is well balanced in terms of the three primary nutrients.

I know that this is a limited description, but would certainly welcome
thoughts from the more experienced potato gardeners out there.

Sincere thanks,

--
Kenneth

Old 23-07-2004, 05:02 PM
FarmerDill

Howdy,

I am (brand) new to planting potatoes and decided to put in two
varieties: Yukon Golds and Russets.

They have grown beautifully since planting, but now, all at once, I am
having real trouble.

On virtually every plant, (they are about 18" tall by the way) nearly
all the leaves have become very curly and shriveled. The plants look
like the are soon to die off.

I can see no insect infestations, and the soil is well drained and
receives what I would assume to be an appropriate amount of water. The
soil is well balanced in terms of the three primary nutrients.

I know that this is a limited description, but would certainly welcome
thoughts from the more experienced potato gardeners out there.

Sincere thanks,

--
Kenneth

don't know where you are or when you planted them. But potatoes vines tend to
die suddenly when they have finished producing a crop of tubers. In the mid
Atlantic, this occurs in late June early July at which time the potatoes are
dug. Here in Georgia, very early June.
Old 24-07-2004, 06:02 AM
nora

Hello all,

The puzzle is that I believed that the vines never flowered...

Someone with whom I work pointed out this morning that I was away from
the garden from about June 10 for nearly two weeks...

I live in New Hampshire...

It now appears likely that I simply missed the flowering of the vines.

This morning I got out a fork, trudged over to the garden, and
harvested the first of my potatoes. They were wonderful!

Thanks to all,

Funny, I have the exact same thing happening - Yukon Golds, in VT, and
just got back from a week away to find the potatoes wilting and
yellowing - I also never saw them flower at all but was also away for
about a week in June. I had some trouble with pests this year (mainly
some Colorado potato beetles but also some other pests), which I think
I successfully treated using interplanting of dead nettle and picking
the buggers off.

Anyway I couldn't figure out what the heck was killing the plants as I
usually experience pretty healthy growth through August. I dug around
one plant before it started pouring and did find one potato - but had
to give it up due to rain. I hope I find the same thing when I dig
tomorrow. This is my first year with Yukon golds, maybe they are just
a bit different and die off earlier?

Old 24-07-2004, 04:28 PM
FarmerDill

The puzzle is that I believed that the vines never flowered...

I have had years where the potatoes never flowered at all. Didn't affect the
crop any. Some cultivars are more prone to flowering then others. The Irish
Cobblers were the more reluctant bloomers.

Potato troubles...? Kenneth Gardening 2 28-07-2004 03:02 PM
tomato existed before the potato tomato? Solanum or Lycopersicon potato was a mutated to Cereoid+10 Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:23 PM
tomato existed before the potato tomato? Solanum or Lycopersicon potato was a mutated Sean Carroll Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:23 PM
tomato existed before the potato tomato? Solanum or Lycopersicon potato was a mutated to Darren Garrison Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:23 PM