Old 03-08-2004, 06:16 PM
AlienZen

Default advice sought on transplanting yew bush

We are preparing to redo the terracing on the front of our house. The ground has
settled, the timbers are out of alignment, and the gravel backfill under the
porch is exposed. We need to raise the mean ground level about a foot. Most the
plants are pretty much disposable, but we have one Yew, about 6 ft wide, 3 ft
deep, and 4 ft tall that I would like to reposition once we are done. Google
turns up too many hits on the word YEW to try and find any specific guidlines
for transplanting.

Does anybody have any insight to help salvage this beauty?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 03-08-2004, 06:40 PM
Bill R

AlienZen wrote:
We are preparing to redo the terracing on the front of our house. The ground has
settled, the timbers are out of alignment, and the gravel backfill under the
porch is exposed. We need to raise the mean ground level about a foot. Most the
plants are pretty much disposable, but we have one Yew, about 6 ft wide, 3 ft
deep, and 4 ft tall that I would like to reposition once we are done. Google
turns up too many hits on the word YEW to try and find any specific guidlines
for transplanting.

Does anybody have any insight to help salvage this beauty?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,

The best time to move it is in the fall. You will need to
make sure that when you dig it up you get the the main root
ball. On a plant that size I would dig one foot on either
side and at least two feed down to get the main roots. You
will need to cut some of the smaller roots. Don't worry
about that; as long as you get the main root ball and
provide adequate moisture once the plant is moved it will
survive. The less you disturb the main roots the better off
you will be. Also, the root and soil ball will be quite
heavy. Be sure that you have some help when you move it.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden flowers visit