GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What are these Big Black wasps? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/81447-what-these-big-black-wasps.html)

Jen in Chicago 09-08-2004 08:52 PM

What are these Big Black wasps?

They're living in harmony with the yellow jackets in the trees right
outside my house. They are twice as long as your average yellowjacket
(you know the kind that flies in your soda can at a picnic?) and all
black with a white face pattern. The first time I saw one I thought
it was a huge june bug, but then upon closer inspection realized it's
a wasp/hornet of some kind.

My other question is I have something eating the leaves of my tiarella
to the ground, but I don't have any Japanese Beetles this year. Any
ideas? No, caterpillars, lots of ants though. I'm near Chicago in
Zone 5.

TIA,
Inattendue

SugarChile 09-08-2004 09:35 PM

What are these Big Black wasps?

Bald faced hornets, perhaps?
http://www.muenster.org/hornissensch.../baldfaced.htm

They are not aggressive unless disturbed, unlike yellow jackets, and do a
lot of good in the garden eating pests. In the fall they also feed on
fallen fruit, and are interesting to watch--you can get quite close when
they are in a rotting fruit feeding frenzy.

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

om...

Jen in Chicago 10-08-2004 05:25 PM

What are these Big Black wasps?

Sue,

You're fantastic! That's exactly what they are. Do you know if they
would share a hive with yellow jackets? I doubt it but the tree in
front of my house is "filled" with both types. I've already told my
DF to be very careful when he goes into the attic next time. I'll
keep you all posted! Thanks for the id!

Jen in Chicago

Vox Humana 10-08-2004 06:25 PM

What are these Big Black wasps?

"Jen in Chicago" wrote in message
om...
Sue,

You're fantastic! That's exactly what they are. Do you know if they
would share a hive with yellow jackets? I doubt it but the tree in
front of my house is "filled" with both types. I've already told my
DF to be very careful when he goes into the attic next time. I'll
keep you all posted! Thanks for the id!

I have lots of them. They tend to build in protected areas like in inside
corners under the eves. I had some living in an seldom used gas grill.
They seem to be attracted to my cannas where they spend the day scouring the
leaves for insets. I have never had any problems with them being
aggressive.