Old 11-08-2004, 06:09 PM
William Brown

Default Plant ID

We are in Northern Ohio and this plant has appeared in our flower bed.
I don't remember planting it, but perhaps I did. It is about 18 inches
tall. I put some pictures of it at
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/wbrown...nt/photos.html

Does anyone recognize it?
there.

Old 12-08-2004, 03:04 AM
Vox Humana

"William Brown" wrote in message
We are in Northern Ohio and this plant has appeared in our flower bed.
I don't remember planting it, but perhaps I did. It is about 18 inches
tall. I put some pictures of it at
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/wbrown...nt/photos.html

Does anyone recognize it?

The picture you posted is showing what looks to be a shrub that is about 3
feet high. I would guess that it has been there for years considering the
thickness of the branches. My guess would be that it is a privet (
Ligustrum) of some kind. Does it get flowers? Is it evergreen or
deciduous? How fast does it grow?

Old 12-08-2004, 06:18 PM
William Brown

Vox Humana wrote:
"William Brown" wrote in message

We are in Northern Ohio and this plant has appeared in our flower bed.
I don't remember planting it, but perhaps I did. It is about 18 inches
tall. I put some pictures of it at
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/wbrown...nt/photos.html

Does anyone recognize it?

The picture you posted is showing what looks to be a shrub that is about 3
feet high. I would guess that it has been there for years considering the
thickness of the branches. My guess would be that it is a privet (
Ligustrum) of some kind. Does it get flowers? Is it evergreen or
deciduous? How fast does it grow?

It has been there for some years and doesn't grow as fast as our privet;
I would call it slow growing. It is just under two feet tall. I
haven't seen flowers, but I don't go in that area often, especially in
the spring as that is our daffodil bed. I can't remember if it is
evergreen, but I'll look this winter.

I compared it to our privet after reading your thoughts. I know there
are all kinds of privet. The trunk on the mystery shrub has patterns
not unlike our privet, but is dark grey-green, where our privets are
more tan. I cut a branch and put up some closer pictures of the leaves
at the same URL. Our privet has smooth-edged leaves, while the mystery
shrub has erose-edged leaves, in a pattern of one large and two small
originating very close together on the twig, which also differs from our
privet.

there.