Old 12-08-2004, 01:19 AM
Theodore Padouvas

Default Iris seedlings

I have been growing some Irises from seeds since about April/May. I was
wondering when I should plant them in the ground. NYC zone7.

Old 12-08-2004, 03:00 AM
David Ross

Theodore Padouvas wrote:

I have been growing some Irises from seeds since about April/May. I was
wondering when I should plant them in the ground. NYC zone7.

Are these bulb iris (sometimes called Dutch iris) or rhizome iris
(e.g., bearded iris). In your area, you should plant bulb iris in
the fall just before the first frost. You should plant rhizome
iris about the second week they are available in local nurseries
(real nurseries, not hardware stores or lumber yards).

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See http://www.mozilla.org/.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:19 AM
Theodore Padouvas

"David Ross" wrote in message
Theodore Padouvas wrote:

I have been growing some Irises from seeds since about April/May. I was
wondering when I should plant them in the ground. NYC zone7.

Are these bulb iris (sometimes called Dutch iris) or rhizome iris
(e.g., bearded iris). In your area, you should plant bulb iris in
the fall just before the first frost. You should plant rhizome
iris about the second week they are available in local nurseries
(real nurseries, not hardware stores or lumber yards).

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See http://www.mozilla.org/.

I am not sure what type. They are irises I started from seeds this spring
which I got as a gift.

Old 12-08-2004, 05:05 PM
starlord

I had mine in pots for the first 2 years, give them a chance to grow good
before I put'm out in my garden.

--

"And for the second time in four million years, the monolith awoke."
Arthur C.Clarke 2062dyssey three

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Blast Off Cybershop
http://www.cafeshops.com/starlords
In the Garden Gift Shop
http://www.cafeshops.com/InGarden
Astronomy-net shop
http://www.cafeshops.com/Astronomy_net
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

"Theodore Padouvas" wrote in message
I have been growing some Irises from seeds since about April/May. I was
wondering when I should plant them in the ground. NYC zone7.

---

Old 12-08-2004, 10:36 PM
Theodore Padouvas

"starlord" wrote in message
I had mine in pots for the first 2 years, give them a chance to grow good
before I put'm out in my garden.

I guess that is what I will do. Thanks to all.

Old 12-08-2004, 11:06 PM
David Ross

Theodore Padouvas wrote:

"David Ross" wrote in message
Theodore Padouvas wrote:

I have been growing some Irises from seeds since about April/May. I was
wondering when I should plant them in the ground. NYC zone7.

Are these bulb iris (sometimes called Dutch iris) or rhizome iris
(e.g., bearded iris). In your area, you should plant bulb iris in
the fall just before the first frost. You should plant rhizome
iris about the second week they are available in local nurseries
(real nurseries, not hardware stores or lumber yards).

I am not sure what type. They are irises I started from seeds this spring
which I got as a gift.

If the foliage is thin, grass-like, and dies down in the fall, they
are likely to be bulb iris.

If the foliage is blade-like, forms a fan, and persists through the
winter, they are likely to be rhizome iris.