Old 13-08-2004, 03:40 PM
Judy Cosler

Default withhazel 'Diane'

I have a withhazel that something is eating so that the leaves appear
'lacey'. does something need to be done? if so, what?
TIA, Judy, zone 7
Old 14-08-2004, 12:14 AM
David J Bockman

Do you see any insects present? A sharp blast of water all over the leaves
is a good start.

Dave

Old 14-08-2004, 02:08 AM
madgardener

Japanese beetles. ate mine too............next year I spray them.......
madgardener

--
Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.

Old 14-08-2004, 01:48 PM
Judy Cosler

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 21:08:27 -0400, "madgardener"
wrote:

it's Japanese beetles.

so, in your previous post, were you saying that nothing can be done
this year but that the plant will be ok? this plant was planted just
this June.

but to spray next year? with what???

thanks.

((.)) '))
((((((((
))(/)((

Old 15-08-2004, 06:44 AM
madgardener

wrote:

it's Japanese beetles.

so, in your previous post, were you saying that nothing can be done
this year but that the plant will be ok? this plant was planted just
this June.

Mine was planted in May when I got it from Carroll gardens. It was a very
healthy tree. It even had a few flowers on it to tease me for next year's
show. The Japanese beetles came and I didn't even THINK about them
devouring the leaves like they did until the leaves were lacey. Next year I
get some pyrethrum spray and pay attention when I see the first signs of
them and just spray them. The leaves are trying to regrow but with this
unseasonable cold snap we've had for August, I don't know if they'll set a
late crop of leaves or not. The tree so far is fine as I can tell. I'm
checking it tomorrow while I'm off for signs of green cambium on the twigs
and trunk.

Schultz makes a spray from pyrethrum that is made from the flower and kills
on contact. And since it's not some insidious chemical from Ortho or
Specticide or something, I don't feel like I'm being too off the mark
organically. If I had the time, I'd just pluck the suckers like I used to.
But I work and am distracted and don't have as much time to fool the
fornicating beetles into flying down into my waiting jar of soapy, oily
water to their drowing death. (if you have time, just go out with a wide
mouth mayonaise jar half filled with soapy water and a little cooking oil
and hold the jar under the japanese beetles, take the other hand and go over
the clustered Japanese beetles and they will drop down and try to fly
sideways and escape. but you have a jar under them and they drop into the
jar and drown. I use the jar until it's packed full. Let them drown before
emptying. The pyrethrum spray just kills them on contact after a few
moments. No makee babies when they die! g

I will check on the formation of leaves on mine tomorrow and get back with
you. Keep the faith.
madgardener