GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Basil problem (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/81702-basil-problem.html)

an eclectic garden 14-08-2004 10:24 PM

Basil problem

I am trying to discover what happened to my basil. The plants were
about six inches tall when I set them out. I pinched them back before
planting. The new leaves were forming at the base of the old leaves
and then all new growth vanished. I put out 40 plants the new growth
disappeared from all but one. They have since recovered but I am
searching to find what could be so voracious that it could devour all
of those tiny new leaves. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks

Sally
http://www.aneclecticgarden.com

dps 16-08-2004 04:48 PM

an eclectic garden wrote:
I am trying to discover what happened to my basil. The plants were
about six inches tall when I set them out. I pinched them back before
planting. The new leaves were forming at the base of the old leaves
and then all new growth vanished. I put out 40 plants the new growth
disappeared from all but one. They have since recovered but I am
searching to find what could be so voracious that it could devour all
of those tiny new leaves. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Japanese beetles are fairly voracious when it comes to anything tasty.