GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   When can I plant an oak seedling? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/81725-when-can-i-plant-oak-seedling.html)

Diann 15-08-2004 05:43 AM

When can I plant an oak seedling?

I have an oak seedling from an acorn from this spring. It is in a pot
can I plant it this fall? When? I am in northeast Indiana. Thanks!

Gardñ@Gardñ.info 15-08-2004 10:25 AM

Diann in news:0SBTc.1102$Kf4.342
@nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

I have an oak seedling from an acorn from this spring. It is in a pot
can I plant it this fall? When? I am in northeast Indiana. Thanks!

dry western oaks seem to grow best when seeded directly. yet the reveg
people seem to plant presprouted (sleeves or whatever)

Mike LaMana 15-08-2004 01:18 PM

Yes. Plant the oak tree now. :)

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

David Ross 15-08-2004 07:41 PM

Diann wrote:

I have an oak seedling from an acorn from this spring. It is in a pot
can I plant it this fall? When? I am in northeast Indiana. Thanks!

See my http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_oak_acorn.html. You
should keep it in a container for about 2-3 years. Move it to a
larger container in the spring, just as the leaf buds start to
swell.

Since you live in an climate with rainy summers, you don't have to
prune the taproot. Your native oaks are already adapted to summer
watering. However, don't let the seedling become potbound with a
taproot that winds around and around. Keep moving it up to larger
containers.

You can set it into the ground when the trunk is about the
thickness of your index finger. By then, it is no longer a
seedling. It's a sapling.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean