Old 15-08-2004, 05:43 AM
Diann

Default When can I plant an oak seedling?

I have an oak seedling from an acorn from this spring. It is in a pot
can I plant it this fall? When? I am in northeast Indiana. Thanks!
Old 15-08-2004, 10:25 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

Diann in news:0SBTc.1102$Kf4.342
@nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

I have an oak seedling from an acorn from this spring. It is in a pot
can I plant it this fall? When? I am in northeast Indiana. Thanks!

dry western oaks seem to grow best when seeded directly. yet the reveg
people seem to plant presprouted (sleeves or whatever)

Old 15-08-2004, 01:18 PM
Mike LaMana

Yes. Plant the oak tree now.

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

Old 15-08-2004, 07:41 PM
David Ross

Diann wrote:

I have an oak seedling from an acorn from this spring. It is in a pot
can I plant it this fall? When? I am in northeast Indiana. Thanks!

See my http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_oak_acorn.html. You
should keep it in a container for about 2-3 years. Move it to a
larger container in the spring, just as the leaf buds start to
swell.

Since you live in an climate with rainy summers, you don't have to
prune the taproot. Your native oaks are already adapted to summer
watering. However, don't let the seedling become potbound with a
taproot that winds around and around. Keep moving it up to larger
containers.

You can set it into the ground when the trunk is about the
thickness of your index finger. By then, it is no longer a
seedling. It's a sapling.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

[IMG] code is On

Chestnut seedling - when to plant out? Steve[_39_] United Kingdom 4 24-04-2012 04:36 PM
Oak seedling Phil Palmer Gardening 5 11-05-2006 03:34 PM
Moving Bur Oak seedling? V. N. Gardening 1 31-07-2003 01:32 AM
Can I tell the difference between a female and male fennel seedling? Gary Flynn Edible Gardening 1 14-04-2003 11:08 AM
Seedling transplanting question Tony Gardening 13 09-03-2003 01:09 AM