GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Chain saw starts, idles, won't run fast (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/81884-chain-saw-starts-idles-wont-run-fast.html)

Gary 17-08-2004 10:31 PM

Chain saw starts, idles, won't run fast

My brother said he had a new carb kit put in but it still is the same.
Starts fine, idles, press the throttle at all and it dies.

I know there are some tweaks to make on settings and screws but is it
obvious from my description where one might start?

Thanks,

Frank Logullo 18-08-2004 12:07 AM

"Gary" wrote in message
om...
My brother said he had a new carb kit put in but it still is the same.
Starts fine, idles, press the throttle at all and it dies.

I know there are some tweaks to make on settings and screws but is it
obvious from my description where one might start?

With my lawn mower running like this, it was the ignition coil. Took two
trips to a shop to get it fixed ;(
Frank

William Wagner 18-08-2004 06:20 PM

In article ,
(Gary) wrote:

My brother said he had a new carb kit put in but it still is the same.
Starts fine, idles, press the throttle at all and it dies.

I know there are some tweaks to make on settings and screws but is it
obvious from my description where one might start?

Thanks,

Possible clogged fuel filter?? Prime it it runs then cuts out.

Bill

--
Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade Earth sometimes.
There is atleast one word misspelled deliberately in the above post. ;))

James 19-08-2004 12:32 AM

"Gary" wrote in message
om...
My brother said he had a new carb kit put in but it still is the same.
Starts fine, idles, press the throttle at all and it dies.

I know there are some tweaks to make on settings and screws but is it
obvious from my description where one might start?

Thanks,

Sounds like the vaccum hose is missing or faulty. It needs it.

Gary 20-08-2004 09:39 PM

Leon Fisk wrote in message . ..
On 17 Aug 2004 14:31:07 -0700, (Gary)
wrote:

My brother said he had a new carb kit put in but it still is the same.
Starts fine, idles, press the throttle at all and it dies.

I know there are some tweaks to make on settings and screws but is it
obvious from my description where one might start?

Hi Gary,

Just a guess, but has the exhaust/muffler been checked? Mud
Wasps just love to build their mud nests inside of them.
Your machine won't run right if it can't expel the exhaust
fast enough.

Thanks for the suggestion, exhaust looks clean. Having been stung in
the head by 2 or 3 wasps about a week ago I wasn't looking forward to
finding more.

Gary 20-08-2004 09:40 PM

"James" wrote in message ...
"Gary" wrote in message
om...
My brother said he had a new carb kit put in but it still is the same.
Starts fine, idles, press the throttle at all and it dies.

I know there are some tweaks to make on settings and screws but is it
obvious from my description where one might start?

Thanks,

Sounds like the vaccum hose is missing or faulty. It needs it.

I checked the user/parts manuals and no mention of a vaccuum hose is
made. So you're right! It's missing!

Gary 20-08-2004 09:41 PM

William Wagner wrote in message ...
In article ,
(Gary) wrote:

My brother said he had a new carb kit put in but it still is the same.
Starts fine, idles, press the throttle at all and it dies.

I know there are some tweaks to make on settings and screws but is it
obvious from my description where one might start?

Thanks,

Possible clogged fuel filter?? Prime it it runs then cuts out.

Bill

Took out the fuel filter, looks clean, blew through it backwards, seems fine.

I got a couple new spark plugs and will try ignition coil next if no progress.