GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fig ID? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/82167-fig-id.html)

Frogleg 22-08-2004 12:51 PM

Fig ID?

No answers to previous post, so... is it possible to ID a type of fig
tree by pictures of tree, leaves, and/or growing fruit, or do I have
to wait 'til October when the fruits is ripe (clue!) to pin this down?
These are growing in SE Virginia, USDA zone 7b.

[email protected] 25-08-2004 11:49 PM

absolutely no idea. do google search for figs and ask somebody that sells the trees.
Ingrid

Frogleg wrote:

No answers to previous post, so... is it possible to ID a type of fig
tree by pictures of tree, leaves, and/or growing fruit, or do I have
to wait 'til October when the fruits is ripe (clue!) to pin this down?
These are growing in SE Virginia, USDA zone 7b.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Frogleg 26-08-2004 09:55 AM

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:49:20 GMT, wrote:

Frogleg wrote:

is it possible to ID a type of fig
tree by pictures of tree, leaves, and/or growing fruit, or do I have
to wait 'til October when the fruits is ripe (clue!) to pin this down?
These are growing in SE Virginia, USDA zone 7b.

absolutely no idea. do google search for figs and ask somebody that sells the trees.

I *have* googled, but most images are simply labeled 'fig tree' or
'fig' and most text references that distinguish figs by name don't
provide pictures or descriptions of how to ID the different kinds.

Around here, fig trees aren't bought -- they all seem to be from
cuttings. My own tree is now a little over a foot tall in a pot. I
suppose I should get it into the ground soon.

MLEBLANCA 27-08-2004 03:03 AM

Frogleg wrote:

is it possible to ID a type of fig
tree by pictures of tree, leaves, and/or growing fruit, or do I have
to wait 'til October when the fruits is ripe (clue!) to pin this down?
These are growing in SE Virginia, USDA zone 7b.

absolutely no idea. do google search for figs and ask somebody that sells

the trees.

I *have* googled, but most images are simply labeled 'fig tree' or
'fig' and most text references that distinguish figs by name don't
provide pictures or descriptions of how to ID the different kinds.

Frogleg
Sunset Western Garden Book lists 14
cultivars of commonly grown figs. All are varieties of Ficus carica, the edible
fig.
All of these cutlivars are identified by a description of the fruit. So I
think you will have to wait to see the ripe fruit.

Emilie
Norcal

Frogleg 27-08-2004 10:44 AM

On 27 Aug 2004 02:03:34 GMT, (MLEBLANCA) wrote:

Frogleg wrote:

is it possible to ID a type of fig
tree by pictures of tree, leaves, and/or growing fruit, or do I have
to wait 'til October when the fruits is ripe (clue!) to pin this down?
These are growing in SE Virginia, USDA zone 7b.

Sunset Western Garden Book lists 14
cultivars of commonly grown figs. All are varieties of Ficus carica, the edible
fig.
All of these cutlivars are identified by a description of the fruit. So I
think you will have to wait to see the ripe fruit.

Thanks, Emilie. I have (an old version of) the Sunset book, and didn't
think to look there. Also have a new Sunset book for this area of the
country. The figs are gorgeous -- when I cut them into the jam pot,
it's a beautful color scheme of light and dark green with rosy pink
innards. Will be happy to take photos of the ripe 'uns.

I'm not much of a canner/preserver. Dealing with pots of boiling water
and bushels of tomatoes in high summer holds little fascination for
me. But making fig jam is ideal: a pot of fruit burbling on the stove
and sending up fragrant steam is more than welcome on a cool October
morning.

Gardñ@Gardñ.info 03-09-2004 03:52 AM

No answers to previous post, so... is it possible to ID a type of fig
tree by pictures of tree, leaves, and/or growing fruit, or do I have
to wait 'til October when the fruits is ripe (clue!) to pin this down?
These are growing in SE Virginia, USDA zone 7b.

7b? [web search... fig hardy to 0 degrees F, so ok] they might be
sassafras, but if you see little hard green figs, (and you should have
seen ripe figs by now) then it's a fig

otherwise, figs varieties are difficult ot determine. friut on one tree
can visually vary much. and growing conditions cause a lot of variatoins.

ira condit (uc riverside, i think) was teh expert who classified figs
(50's and 60's i think) He (with assistnace) found many synonyms!

Frogleg 03-09-2004 11:43 AM

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 02:52:04 +0000 (UTC), "
wrote:

No answers to previous post, so... is it possible to ID a type of fig
tree by pictures of tree, leaves, and/or growing fruit, or do I have
to wait 'til October when the fruits is ripe (clue!) to pin this down?
These are growing in SE Virginia, USDA zone 7b.

7b? [web search... fig hardy to 0 degrees F, so ok] they might be
sassafras, but if you see little hard green figs, (and you should have
seen ripe figs by now) then it's a fig

otherwise, figs varieties are difficult ot determine. friut on one tree
can visually vary much. and growing conditions cause a lot of variatoins.

ira condit (uc riverside, i think) was teh expert who classified figs
(50's and 60's i think) He (with assistnace) found many synonyms!

So I've read since. I don't suppose it matters, as long as the jam is
good. :-) I believe I started this quest because the fella with the
tree that supplies the figs that make the jam wanted to know what kind
they are. I will tell him "edible" and leave it at that!

Thanks for the reply. I'll see about getting a good photo to post in
any case.