Old 22-08-2004, 12:51 PM
Frogleg

Default Fig ID?

No answers to previous post, so... is it possible to ID a type of fig
tree by pictures of tree, leaves, and/or growing fruit, or do I have
to wait 'til October when the fruits is ripe (clue!) to pin this down?
These are growing in SE Virginia, USDA zone 7b.
Old 25-08-2004, 11:49 PM

absolutely no idea. do google search for figs and ask somebody that sells the trees.
Ingrid

Frogleg wrote:

No answers to previous post, so... is it possible to ID a type of fig
tree by pictures of tree, leaves, and/or growing fruit, or do I have
to wait 'til October when the fruits is ripe (clue!) to pin this down?
These are growing in SE Virginia, USDA zone 7b.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 27-08-2004, 03:03 AM
MLEBLANCA

Frogleg wrote:

is it possible to ID a type of fig
tree by pictures of tree, leaves, and/or growing fruit, or do I have
to wait 'til October when the fruits is ripe (clue!) to pin this down?
These are growing in SE Virginia, USDA zone 7b.

absolutely no idea. do google search for figs and ask somebody that sells

the trees.

I *have* googled, but most images are simply labeled 'fig tree' or
'fig' and most text references that distinguish figs by name don't
provide pictures or descriptions of how to ID the different kinds.

Frogleg
Sunset Western Garden Book lists 14
cultivars of commonly grown figs. All are varieties of Ficus carica, the edible
fig.
All of these cutlivars are identified by a description of the fruit. So I
think you will have to wait to see the ripe fruit.

Emilie
Norcal

Old 03-09-2004, 03:52 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

No answers to previous post, so... is it possible to ID a type of fig
tree by pictures of tree, leaves, and/or growing fruit, or do I have
to wait 'til October when the fruits is ripe (clue!) to pin this down?
These are growing in SE Virginia, USDA zone 7b.

7b? [web search... fig hardy to 0 degrees F, so ok] they might be
sassafras, but if you see little hard green figs, (and you should have
seen ripe figs by now) then it's a fig

otherwise, figs varieties are difficult ot determine. friut on one tree
can visually vary much. and growing conditions cause a lot of variatoins.

ira condit (uc riverside, i think) was teh expert who classified figs
(50's and 60's i think) He (with assistnace) found many synonyms!
Old 03-09-2004, 11:43 AM
Frogleg

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 02:52:04 +0000 (UTC), "
wrote:

No answers to previous post, so... is it possible to ID a type of fig
tree by pictures of tree, leaves, and/or growing fruit, or do I have
to wait 'til October when the fruits is ripe (clue!) to pin this down?
These are growing in SE Virginia, USDA zone 7b.

7b? [web search... fig hardy to 0 degrees F, so ok] they might be
sassafras, but if you see little hard green figs, (and you should have
seen ripe figs by now) then it's a fig

otherwise, figs varieties are difficult ot determine. friut on one tree
can visually vary much. and growing conditions cause a lot of variatoins.

ira condit (uc riverside, i think) was teh expert who classified figs
(50's and 60's i think) He (with assistnace) found many synonyms!

So I've read since. I don't suppose it matters, as long as the jam is
good. :-) I believe I started this quest because the fella with the
tree that supplies the figs that make the jam wanted to know what kind
they are. I will tell him "edible" and leave it at that!

Thanks for the reply. I'll see about getting a good photo to post in
any case.