Old 22-08-2004, 07:15 PM
GaryM

Default Rose flowers drooping?

Why do my roses produce flowers seemingly too 'heavy' for their stems,
which in turn, causes them to droop over? I fertilize them every 6
weeks with Ortho Rosepride.

Thanks in advance,

Gary
Old 23-08-2004, 09:46 PM
Sunflower

"GaryM" wrote in message
. 3.44...
Why do my roses produce flowers seemingly too 'heavy' for their stems,
which in turn, causes them to droop over? I fertilize them every 6
weeks with Ortho Rosepride.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

Too little water, too young a roses, extreme hot weather, chemical
poisoning, and behavior specific to the variety can all cause blooms to nod.
It's one of the features that David Austin breeds into many of his roses and
is how many antique roses appear, so first be sure that you don't have a
variety that nodding is normal. Ortho is overpriced junk, especially if
it's the crap with the systemic insecticide included, which can also build
up in your roses and cause all kinds of problems, including the weak necks
that you describe. Improve the soil with lots of organic matter, manure,
and alfalfa, and your roses won't need but the occasional snack in early
spring before the microbes are warm enough to start breaking down the
organic matter to feed them. Roses like a LOT of water. It's the most
important "secret ingredient". Unless you have very heavy unimproved clay
soil or garden in a bog, it's almost impossible to overwater them. Roses
like full sun conditions, but this can be trying to them when temperatures
soar into the upper 90's and above. Then, watering and more watering and
more watering is key to keeping them hydrated and happy. Young roses also
often improve in many respects as they age, including increased bloom
production, better disease resistance, and thicker stems that hold their
heads up better. If your roses are less than 3 years old, then perhaps you
are a bit impatient in wanting a toddler to behave like an adult.