Old 26-08-2004, 02:23 AM
Mike Franklin

Default Automatic sprinkler valve question

I am installing an automatic irrigation system for my backyard, and am
trying to figure out the problem caused by a raised planter in the back.
Anti-siphon valves require being a foot higher than the highest sprinkler
head, so I thought I'd look into in-line valves. However, they require a
back flow prevention device which, according to Toro's website, says that it
must be intsalled a foot or so higher than the highest sprinkler head. I'd
rather not have all that hardware 4 or 5 feet above my patio. What is the
recomended way to automatically water a raised planter?

Thanks, Mike

Old 26-08-2004, 02:54 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

"Mike Franklin" in

I am installing an automatic irrigation system for my backyard, and am
trying to figure out the problem caused by a raised planter in the
back. Anti-siphon valves

AVB, consided unreliable. unlike other backflows, you need one for each
valve, and i'ts installed AFTER each valve. ( in 'one piece' AS valves,
AVBs are glued-on, downflow of the actual valve.)

require being a foot higher than the highest
sprinkler head, so I thought I'd look into in-line valves.

you can get better brands if you buy inline valves, rainbird or hunter
are decent, imo

However,
they require a back flow prevention device which, according to Toro's
website, says that it must be intsalled a foot or so higher than the
highest sprinkler head.

sounds like toro's plastic PVB? or are they rebadging brass ones?

call your water district, see if they have type requirements. double
checks don't need ot be above the outlets.

rp's are supposedly best.
http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/sprinkler08.htm

I'd rather not have all that hardware 4 or 5
feet above my patio. What is the recomended way to automatically
water a raised planter?

hide it. keep it away from fences, espec corner posts, else someone will
bash it during fence repair.

Thanks, Mike