Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-08-2004, 09:17 PM
J.B. Bobbitt

Default help w/ acacia sprouts

Hello all;

I have an acacia tree ~ 16 yrs old, about 12" diameter at the knee and ~35
feet high. Its located along the fence-line w/ my neighbor and had grown
over their house so early this spring I pruned it back heavily, and took off
some large branches. All together I took off about 1/3 of the crown.

About a month afterwards I had the lawn tilled to replant grass. Before I
could lay the sod, LOTS of little acacia trees started sprouting up from
roots everywhere under the former dripline. I mean a LOT, but only in my
yard, not my neighbor's.

I tried spraying them w/ Round-up, thinking they had sprouted from seed.
Some died, some didn't. Today, I just finished pulling them all out by
driving a shovel through the roots (1/2 in - 1 in thick) above and below the
shoots. It was a major PITA to do.

I'm reluctant to lay sod until I've got the acacia shoots under control.
Any suggestions as to how to do that? If I use Round-up will it kill the
main tree? Is there a proper way to deal w/ this?

Thanks a heap,
-jbb