Old 29-08-2004, 04:03 PM
Louise

Default datura

Came back from a few weeks vacation and found my datura plant leaves all
chewed up. The culprit seems to be a stripped beetle. Does someone know the
name of this pest and what can be done to control it?
Thanks
Lou

Old 29-08-2004, 04:47 PM
Sed5555

Came back from a few weeks vacation and found my datura plant leaves all
chewed up. The culprit seems to be a stripped beetle. Does someone know the
name of this pest and what can be done to control it?

Datura is a solanceous plant (in the same family as tomatoes, potatoes, etc.)
and this family is a known host of the Colorado potato beetle (stripped
beetle). This pest is resistant to many chemical controls, but two strains of
Bacillus thuringiensis (B.t. var. san diego and B.t. var. tenebrionis) are
effective in controlling it. B.t. var. san diego is sold under the name M-One
and B.t. var. tenebrionis is marketed as Trident. These products are safe for
mammals, birds, fish, and beneficial insects. If you use these products, be
sure to apply when the larvae are small and to thoroughly cover the plant. This
treatment will have to be repeated weekly until all of the eggs have hatched.
Or... you can just hand pick the beetles and larvae.
sed5555
Old 29-08-2004, 08:20 PM
starlord

I've had that same bettle show up on mine, I just went out with some of my
cats flea powder and dusted them.

What's surpised me is this year I've only seen 2 horn worms show up, most of
the time I get 10 of those things.
--

"And for the second time in four million years, the monolith awoke."
Arthur C.Clarke 2062dyssey three

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.netfirms.com/

"Louise" wrote in message
Came back from a few weeks vacation and found my datura plant leaves all
chewed up. The culprit seems to be a stripped beetle. Does someone know

the
name of this pest and what can be done to control it?
Thanks
Lou

---

[IMG] code is On

Datura - datura.jpg Ann Garden Photos 4 09-08-2007 11:36 PM
Datura metel 'La fleur lilac' cultivation Trevor Appleton United Kingdom 1 27-04-2003 12:32 PM
Are Datura Harmful to Hens? Any Other Plants to Avoid? Andy United Kingdom 4 31-03-2003 08:32 AM
Where can I find "datura" which was mentioned above? will Texas 0 07-02-2003 05:16 AM
What to do with my Datura? Andy United Kingdom 1 06-02-2003 02:52 PM