Old 03-09-2004, 02:05 AM
Wishy13764

Default Penstemon problem

I bought 2 of these from home depot this past spring and summer. The first one,
just didn't do anything, and the tops were 'ageing' ? I cut off those that
looked bad and so far its looks healthy and green, but like it hasn't grown an
1/8 th of an inch. The second one I bought in bloom and I think this one was
called "Sour Grapes". The blooms were blue and nice, and more buds were
appearing. But after the firs flowers faded, I was hopeing the new buds would
open, but they never do. For both of them I give water daily, in the sun
exposure, and fertilixe once a month. Could someone tell me if I'm treating
these plants wrong?
Old 03-09-2004, 02:41 AM
paghat

In article ,
(Wishy13764) wrote:

I bought 2 of these from home depot this past spring and summer. The

first one,
just didn't do anything, and the tops were 'ageing' ? I cut off those that
looked bad and so far its looks healthy and green, but like it hasn't grown an
1/8 th of an inch. The second one I bought in bloom and I think this one was
called "Sour Grapes". The blooms were blue and nice, and more buds were
appearing. But after the firs flowers faded, I was hopeing the new buds would
open, but they never do. For both of them I give water daily, in the sun
exposure, and fertilixe once a month. Could someone tell me if I'm treating
these plants wrong?

They will likely do much better next year. They are capable of reblooms
right up to the door of winter (here in zone 8) but if you got them in the
ground only this year, they're expending energy adapting to their location
rather than blooming. If they were a little root-bound & you failed to
loosen their roots, that can retard them too. For their basic daily care,
they should never be too wet, as that's the one thing that'll completely
ruin them. I almost never water mine; even in droughty summers they get
only a little seepage as the drip hoses don't reach them, & they do
fabulously.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Visit the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com
Old 03-09-2004, 02:44 AM
Pam - gardengal

"Wishy13764" wrote in message
I bought 2 of these from home depot this past spring and summer. The first

one,
just didn't do anything, and the tops were 'ageing' ? I cut off those that
looked bad and so far its looks healthy and green, but like it hasn't

grown an
1/8 th of an inch. The second one I bought in bloom and I think this one

was
called "Sour Grapes". The blooms were blue and nice, and more buds were
appearing. But after the firs flowers faded, I was hopeing the new buds

would
open, but they never do. For both of them I give water daily, in the sun
exposure, and fertilixe once a month. Could someone tell me if I'm

treating
these plants wrong?

Way too much water and possibly too much fertilizer. Penstemons are
xeriscape plants - they are extremely drought tolerant and need water only
when they look a bit wilted. IME, this does not happen often and I live in a
summer drought location. Too much fertilizer, specially those higher in
nitrogen, can impede blooming. You're being too nice - ignore them for
awhile.

pam - gardengal

Old 04-09-2004, 05:42 AM
Sed5555

For both of them I give water daily

Most Penstemons will do better with less frequent watering. They grow naturally
in very dry, arid conditions.
sed5555
Old 05-09-2004, 04:18 AM
Bill

Agree, too much water, I have them growing wild along my fence and in the
backyard, they never get any water from me and I'm in Eastern Washington
state where it is very dry and hot during the summer.

They return every year.

Bill

Old 08-09-2004, 12:55 AM
Wishy13764

Agree, too much water, I have them growing wild along my fence and in the
backyard, they never get any water from me and I'm in Eastern Washington
state where it is very dry and hot during the summer.

Well, what is one suppose to do when they start to wilt without water for a day
or two? Thats what happens to mine. I live in NYC, and we have been getting a
lot of rain this summer. mine are in pots out on the patio. Should they be
brought in for the fall and winter?
Old 08-09-2004, 12:57 AM
Wishy13764

For both of them I give water daily

Most Penstemons will do better with less frequent watering. They grow
naturally
in very dry, arid conditions.
sed5555

What does one do if they are in pots and start to wilt, if they go dry for a
day or two?
Old 08-09-2004, 03:34 AM
Cindy

"Wishy13764" wrote in message
Agree, too much water, I have them growing wild along my fence and in the
backyard, they never get any water from me and I'm in Eastern Washington
state where it is very dry and hot during the summer.

Well, what is one suppose to do when they start to wilt without water for
a day
or two? Thats what happens to mine. I live in NYC, and we have been
getting a
lot of rain this summer. mine are in pots out on the patio. Should they be
brought in for the fall and winter?

Plants will also wilt from over watering, I would re-pot them into a well
draining medium.

Cindy