GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Will these conditions work on poinsietta (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/82945-will-these-conditions-work-poinsietta.html)

TOM KAN PA 03-09-2004 07:56 PM

Will these conditions work on poinsietta

The foliage on last years poinsietta plant has come back nicely.
There are no lights on at night in my wife's office. In the day time there is
natural and florescent lighting. Will this light/dark condition bring back the
floral bracts?
This is in zone 5/6.

Cereus-validus 03-09-2004 10:50 PM

No, it won't work.

Euphorbia pulcherrima is a short day plant.

Do a Google search for the all too many websites with info on how to grow
and bloom the plant before doing something stupid.

The zone is irrelevant.

TOM KAN PA 04-09-2004 12:44 AM

Subject: Will these conditions work on poinsietta
From: "Cereus-validus"
The zone is irrelevant.

____Reply Separator_____

I think the zone would be relavant. As an indication of when it is dark and
when it is light.
But then, what the f*@k do I know. If I knew the answer to the question, I
wouldn't have posted it.

Cereus-validus 04-09-2004 03:23 AM

Hardiness zones tell you nothing of the sort at all.

Christopher Green 04-09-2004 08:35 AM

On 03 Sep 2004 18:56:35 GMT, c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

The foliage on last years poinsietta plant has come back nicely.
There are no lights on at night in my wife's office. In the day time there is
natural and florescent lighting. Will this light/dark condition bring back the
floral bracts?
This is in zone 5/6.

Modern poinsettia hybrids are less intolerant of stray light (and hold
their bracts longer) than the older ones, but they still want 14 hours
of pretty good darkness to bloom.

--
Chris Green

Myrmecodia 04-09-2004 12:49 PM

c (TOM KAN PA) wrote in message ...

I think the zone would be relavant. As an indication of when it is dark and
when it is light.
But then, what the f*@k do I know. If I knew the answer to the question, I
wouldn't have posted it.

Zone 5 is a band extending from parts of Canada all the way down to
parts of New Mexico. Latitude will tell you something about day
length, but the zone isn't terribly useful without additional
information.

Regards,
Nick