Old 15-09-2004, 08:19 AM
Watcher

Default Fits here? I think so.

"A human life, I think, should be well rooted in some spot of a native
land, where it may get the love of tender kinship for the face of the
earth, for the labors men go forth to, for the sounds and accents that
haunt it, for whatever will give that early home a familiar
unmistakable difference amidst the future widening of knowledge. The
best introduction to astronomy is to think of the nightly heavens as a
little lot of stars belonging to one's own homestead." --George Eliot

Well said.
Old 15-09-2004, 06:31 PM
starlord

In these days staying in one spot can be very hard, just look at :
http://starlord-personal.netfirms.com/ and I've stayed at this place for
over 6 years now, a Major record for me. As for the Stars above, I'm a
Sidewalk Astronomer and when I'm able to, I give views of the stars and
planets to anyone who stops by and do not think of the stars as being mine.

--

"And for the second time in four million years, the monolith awoke."
Arthur C.Clarke 2062dyssey three

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.netfirms.com/

"Watcher" wrote in message
"A human life, I think, should be well rooted in some spot of a native
land, where it may get the love of tender kinship for the face of the
earth, for the labors men go forth to, for the sounds and accents that
haunt it, for whatever will give that early home a familiar
unmistakable difference amidst the future widening of knowledge. The
best introduction to astronomy is to think of the nightly heavens as a
little lot of stars belonging to one's own homestead." --George Eliot

Well said.

---

Old 15-09-2004, 07:49 PM
Watcher

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 10:31:47 -0700, "starlord"
wrote:

In these days staying in one spot can be very hard, just look at :
http://starlord-personal.netfirms.com/ and I've stayed at this place for
over 6 years now, a Major record for me. As for the Stars above, I'm a
Sidewalk Astronomer and when I'm able to, I give views of the stars and
planets to anyone who stops by and do not think of the stars as being mine.

I've been on this piece of land for 6 years so far and have no plans
to leave it. I know plans have a way of changing sometimes, but I'm
pretty confident that I'll be able to stay here for a few more
years(or decades).
I took the part about thinking of the stars as "mine" as sort of
figurative, and not too rigid or literal, and not in any way meaning
they couldn't be shared with anybody else. The night sky out here in
the country easily looks big enough to share with anybody who wants
some of it.
Old 16-09-2004, 01:08 AM
starlord

I get about 300 clear nights a year out here in the High Mojave Desert.

And I can use both of my Dobsonian telescopes and my 3 sets of Binos too.