Old 24-09-2004, 02:43 PM
Harri85274

Default Mums perennials?

I thought they were annuals.
Old 24-09-2004, 03:16 PM
Allisyn

"Harri85274" wrote in message
I thought they were annuals.

Depends on where you live. I would call them tender perennials. In zone 7
and south they are pretty reliable about coming back the next year. North
of zone 6 is iffy.

Old 24-09-2004, 03:31 PM
Vox Humana

"Allisyn" go away wrote in message

"Harri85274" wrote in message
I thought they were annuals.

Depends on where you live. I would call them tender perennials. In zone

7
and south they are pretty reliable about coming back the next year. North
of zone 6 is iffy.

They have proven reliable for me in zone 6.

Old 24-09-2004, 03:38 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Harri85274" wrote in message
I thought they were annuals.

Crysanthemums are for the most part perennials and are typically listed as
hardy to zone 5. However, they have been hybridized so radically, many
cultivars are much less hardy. What are commonly sold as "garden mums" are
generally treated and sold as annuals, however with mulching in fall, they
will frequently overwinter with ease, specially in warmer zones. Those
labeled and sold as Dendranthemum ('Clara Curtis', Mary Stoker') should be
reliably perennial down to zone 5.

FWIW, many plants typically sold as "annuals" are in fact tender perennials.

pam - gardengal

Old 24-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Sterling

here in Atlanta - zone 7 - they are perennial. You can pinch out the
tops until July to make them bushier - and take the pinched out parts
and pot up for more plants.

My friend received a lovely florist mum last spring for a gift and after
it finished blooming, she was going to pitch it. I cut it way back,
potted the cuttings and have about 15 new plants. I know they won't be
the big florist mums but they ought to make something nice. Should be
blooming soon. Plus I planted the "mother" plant and it is full of buds
also...

Harri85274 wrote:

I thought they were annuals.

Old 24-09-2004, 08:54 PM
David Hill

Chrysanthemum plants sold to produce what you may call florist flowers,
spray and bloom as well as "Garden mums" are all raised from cuttings taken
from the previous years stools (the old plant after the flowers have all
been cut).
Most growers (Unless they want to take their own cuttings) treat them as
annuals.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 24-09-2004, 09:44 PM

not in zone 5. mine are just coming into bloom (near the lake) while out in the
burbs at my mothers they were blooming for her memorial on Labor day. Ingrid

(Harri85274) wrote:

I thought they were annuals.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 25-09-2004, 03:37 AM
B & J

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message
I thought they were annuals.

Crysanthemums are for the most part perennials and are typically listed as
hardy to zone 5. However, they have been hybridized so radically, many
cultivars are much less hardy. What are commonly sold as "garden mums" are
generally treated and sold as annuals, however with mulching in fall, they
will frequently overwinter with ease, specially in warmer zones. Those
labeled and sold as Dendranthemum ('Clara Curtis', Mary Stoker') should be
reliably perennial down to zone 5.

FWIW, many plants typically sold as "annuals" are in fact tender

perennials.

pam - gardengal

I used to raise a variety of cushion mum developed by the Univ. of Minn.
that was hardy in zones 3-4. It came in a variety of colors and only froze
out when there was an unusually cold, open winter. Sometimes I found that
even though the roots appeared dead they would unexpectedly send up green
sprouts if placed in a warm area and watered. If any of them winter killed,
it was usually the white or yellow while the darker colors survived.

John

Old 25-09-2004, 04:52 AM
Cereus-validus

I thoughts mumms was a brand of wine!!!

"Harri85274" wrote in message
I thought they were annuals.

[IMG] code is On

Mums MJC North Carolina 0 17-10-2003 06:42 PM
mums Burp Gardening 3 17-10-2003 06:02 AM
Mums Brandi Lawns 4 24-05-2003 07:57 PM
Mums and marigolds by seeds? [email protected] Gardening 0 30-01-2003 06:19 PM
Pinching Mums Tony United Kingdom 2 05-11-2002 09:54 PM