Old 25-09-2004, 11:36 AM
Registered User

Default Acer Campestre - Proximity to House

Hello all you tree experts out there!

Our developer planted three Acer Campestre close to our house when it was built eight years ago. These are now fifteen feet tall. I am wondering if they are a threat to the house foundations or to a storm drain which runs below.

I am happy to prune the tree to keep its size in check but wonder if anyone has experience or knowledge of the root system. Thanks.
Old 25-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Linden" wrote in message

Hello all you tree experts out there!

Our developer planted three Acer Campestre close to our house when it
was built eight years ago. These are now fifteen feet tall. I am
wondering if they are a threat to the house foundations or to a storm
drain which runs below.

I am happy to prune the tree to keep its size in check but wonder if
anyone has experience or knowledge of the root system. Thanks.

While many species of maples can develop a lot of surface roots, the root
system as a whole is not aggressive and should pose no threat to foundations
or storm drains. How close to the house is close?

pam - gardengal

Old 25-09-2004, 02:03 PM
Registered User

Location: South Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden
Hello all you tree experts out there!

Our developer planted three Acer Campestre close to our house when it was built eight years ago. These are now fifteen feet tall. I am wondering if they are a threat to the house foundations or to a storm drain which runs below.

I am happy to prune the tree to keep its size in check but wonder if anyone has experience or knowledge of the root system. Thanks.
My policy is never to plant closer to dwelling house foundations than twice the expected ultimate height of the tree to be planted.

[IMG] code is On

composters and proximity to plants doofy Edible Gardening 7 03-08-2007 09:52 PM
Acer campestre 'Carnival" pictures Emery Davis United Kingdom 1 20-05-2006 07:02 PM
Foeniculum campestre Peter Plant Science 1 17-05-2005 06:33 AM
Proximity of pump to filter bk Ponds 3 31-10-2004 01:21 PM
Trees/Preservation Orders/Shade and proximity to houses Mark Bridgett United Kingdom 8 05-06-2003 09:20 AM