GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Can anyone help me ID this yellow flower? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/84224-can-anyone-help-me-id-yellow-flower.html)

Ted S 27-09-2004 10:13 PM

Can anyone help me ID this yellow flower?

In South Jersey (zone 6) I saw a very pretty yellow flowering plant
that the owner said drops lots of seeds every year. The flowers are
about 1 inch across and the seeds form under the dying flowers are are
roundish and about 1 to 2 mm across.

I posted a picture at

http://pwp.starnetdial.net/bjkass123/flower/yellow.jpg

and would love to know what it is.

Thanks!

Ted

Kathy 28-09-2004 12:44 AM

I posted a picture at

http://pwp.starnetdial.net/bjkass123/flower/yellow.jpg

and would love to know what it is.

I believe it may be Melampodium. I planted it in my garden this year and it is
blooming beautifully!

Kathy

[email protected] 28-09-2004 07:13 PM

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 23:36:30 GMT, "nonews" wrote:

It is one of the Melampodium species. Do a google search to see the various
species. Good and reliable plant. Trouble-free.

"Ted S" wrote in message
. com...
In South Jersey (zone 6) I saw a very pretty yellow flowering plant
that the owner said drops lots of seeds every year. The flowers are
about 1 inch across and the seeds form under the dying flowers are are
roundish and about 1 to 2 mm across.

I posted a picture at

http://pwp.starnetdial.net/bjkass123/flower/yellow.jpg

Invalid url?

GrampysGurl 28-09-2004 11:44 PM

http://pwp.starnetdial.net/bjkass123/flower/yellow.jpg

and would love to know what it is.

Thanks!

Ted

Looks like Heliopsis to me, I have it for the butterflies, spreads like crazy
here.
Colleen
Zone 5 CT

Ted S 01-10-2004 11:33 PM

It certainly looks like it is Melampodium divaricatum.
The flowers are similar to heliopsis, but that wasn't it.

Thanks for your help! I can't wait to plant it next spring and the
people who gave me the seeds will be happy to find out what it is.

Ted