Old 28-09-2004, 08:26 AM
Mark Anderson

Default HID Lighting

This winter I'm thinking of getting a 400 watt High Pressure Sodium
lighting system to overwinter some plants. Last winter I used
fluorescents and although they worked, the plants got kind of scrawny and
some didn't make it. I want to do a better job this winter and since my
Rosemary plant is now 1 1/2 years old, it has gotten huge and I think it
will need more light than can be gotten from those fluorescents. My
place has very few windows to get natural sunlight and at this latitude
(Chicago), days get very short so I need to supplement the sunlight
somehow.

Does anyone have recommendations for a good place to get this lighting.
I did a google search but it's kind of hard to choose where to go.

Also, I might build a small hydroponic system to use with this light as
well. My only problem is that I don't know what's interesting to grow.
After reading the Cannabis Bible Marijuana sounds interesting but I can't
do that. :-) Any ideas on fun and interesting plants that will teach me
a little more about botany and hydroponics? My goal is to learn how this
all works in the winter and then next Spring I might build a big outside
system on the roof.

Old 28-09-2004, 02:52 PM
zxcvbob

Mark Anderson wrote:
[...]

To get started, look on eBay for a 400W HPS security floodlight. That's
where I bought mine.

Bob

[IMG] code is On

Fluorescent vs HID Arturo Orchids 0 17-06-2004 02:03 AM
Great deal on HID ballasts Michael Shaffer Gardening 2 14-02-2004 12:32 AM
HID Grow Lighting - Best kind? news.east.earthlink.net Plant Science 1 02-12-2003 10:33 PM
houseplants HID lighting news.east.earthlink.net Gardening 0 02-12-2003 01:02 AM
HID Grow Light - Best Kind? news.east.earthlink.net Plant Biology 0 01-12-2003 11:43 PM