GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Trees Were Topped - Need Advice (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/84574-trees-were-topped-need-advice.html)

Bruce Haring 04-10-2004 11:31 PM

Trees Were Topped - Need Advice

Hello:

A beautiful grove of eucalyptus trees that lined my property were
savagely attacked over the weekend. My neighbor had the entire canopy
removed and cut many wounds.

The trees were along a line near my property line, but I'm not sure
who they belonged to. I'm trying to find an arborist to attest to the
tree damages and a surveyor. I'm in the Los Angeles area. Any help or
advice is appreciated. My wife and I are heartsick at having these
trees destroyed by an unthinking neighbor.

Pam - gardengal 05-10-2004 03:08 AM

"Bruce Haring" wrote in message
m...
Hello:

A beautiful grove of eucalyptus trees that lined my property were
savagely attacked over the weekend. My neighbor had the entire canopy
removed and cut many wounds.

The trees were along a line near my property line, but I'm not sure
who they belonged to. I'm trying to find an arborist to attest to the
tree damages and a surveyor. I'm in the Los Angeles area. Any help or
advice is appreciated. My wife and I are heartsick at having these
trees destroyed by an unthinking neighbor.

I am not sure I'd panic immediately. Eucaplyptus can take some formidable
pruning and bounce back well. I recall some streetside eucs in Orange County
(along the PCH no less!) that were pruned back to nubbins (no visible
foliage remaining) to keep them out of overhead powerlines and 6 months
later, they were back to almost the same height.

Eucalyptus here in the PNW can be cut back to the ground by a hard winter
and will regrow with amazing vigor, putting on 10-15 feet in the following
season.

When you say "cut many wounds", what exactly do you mean?

pam - gardengal

Doug Kanter 05-10-2004 08:14 PM

"Bruce Haring" wrote in message
m...
Hello:

A beautiful grove of eucalyptus trees that lined my property were
savagely attacked over the weekend. My neighbor had the entire canopy
removed and cut many wounds.

The trees were along a line near my property line, but I'm not sure
who they belonged to. I'm trying to find an arborist to attest to the
tree damages and a surveyor. I'm in the Los Angeles area. Any help or
advice is appreciated. My wife and I are heartsick at having these
trees destroyed by an unthinking neighbor.

Is it safe to assume that you've ripped the neighbor a new asshole?

Bruce Haring 05-10-2004 09:23 PM

Pam:

Thanks for your response. Our trees were also pruned back to nubbins
and most of the branches were hacked off, leaving nothing but the nubs
of branches. I will be absolutely amazed if the trees can ever
resemble what they used to....but I'm encouraged by your comments.
Appreciate it.

Bruce

[email protected] 24-10-2004 05:57 AM

On 4 Oct 2004 15:31:08 -0700, (Bruce Haring)
wrote:

Hello:

A beautiful grove of eucalyptus trees that lined my property were
savagely attacked over the weekend. My neighbor had the entire canopy
removed and cut many wounds.

The trees were along a line near my property line, but I'm not sure
who they belonged to. I'm trying to find an arborist to attest to the
tree damages and a surveyor. I'm in the Los Angeles area. Any help or
advice is appreciated. My wife and I are heartsick at having these
trees destroyed by an unthinking neighbor.

I don't want to spend your money, but I think any lawyer will tell
you-
-if the trees are on his land, he can cut them,
-if on yours, you have a case,
-overhang I've forgotten. I think if his trees overhang your land you
can trim the overhang...but that doesn't seem to be the issue here.

Regardless, he might have discussed it with you. Don't you get along?