Old 04-10-2004, 11:31 PM
Bruce Haring

Default Trees Were Topped - Need Advice

Hello:

A beautiful grove of eucalyptus trees that lined my property were
savagely attacked over the weekend. My neighbor had the entire canopy
removed and cut many wounds.

The trees were along a line near my property line, but I'm not sure
who they belonged to. I'm trying to find an arborist to attest to the
tree damages and a surveyor. I'm in the Los Angeles area. Any help or
advice is appreciated. My wife and I are heartsick at having these
trees destroyed by an unthinking neighbor.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:08 AM
Pam - gardengal

"Bruce Haring" wrote in message
m...
Hello:

A beautiful grove of eucalyptus trees that lined my property were
savagely attacked over the weekend. My neighbor had the entire canopy
removed and cut many wounds.

The trees were along a line near my property line, but I'm not sure
who they belonged to. I'm trying to find an arborist to attest to the
tree damages and a surveyor. I'm in the Los Angeles area. Any help or
advice is appreciated. My wife and I are heartsick at having these
trees destroyed by an unthinking neighbor.

I am not sure I'd panic immediately. Eucaplyptus can take some formidable
pruning and bounce back well. I recall some streetside eucs in Orange County
(along the PCH no less!) that were pruned back to nubbins (no visible
foliage remaining) to keep them out of overhead powerlines and 6 months
later, they were back to almost the same height.

Eucalyptus here in the PNW can be cut back to the ground by a hard winter
and will regrow with amazing vigor, putting on 10-15 feet in the following
season.

When you say "cut many wounds", what exactly do you mean?

pam - gardengal

Old 05-10-2004, 08:14 PM
Doug Kanter

"Bruce Haring" wrote in message
m...
Hello:

A beautiful grove of eucalyptus trees that lined my property were
savagely attacked over the weekend. My neighbor had the entire canopy
removed and cut many wounds.

The trees were along a line near my property line, but I'm not sure
who they belonged to. I'm trying to find an arborist to attest to the
tree damages and a surveyor. I'm in the Los Angeles area. Any help or
advice is appreciated. My wife and I are heartsick at having these
trees destroyed by an unthinking neighbor.

Is it safe to assume that you've ripped the neighbor a new asshole?

Old 05-10-2004, 09:23 PM
Bruce Haring

Pam:

Thanks for your response. Our trees were also pruned back to nubbins
and most of the branches were hacked off, leaving nothing but the nubs
of branches. I will be absolutely amazed if the trees can ever
resemble what they used to....but I'm encouraged by your comments.
Appreciate it.

Bruce